DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
9,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I take it in to a tire place? Or is there any easy eay that I can get it off?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Well, I've pounded the next smaller metric socket on rounded off nuts and bolts.
Are you using six, or twelve sided sockets?

·
9,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was using the wrench thats in the spare whell to take them off.

I dont think I could get it off with a standard socket. It seems like its too tight.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I use a thickwall air ratchet socket to take mine off, so a regular deepwell socket shoult fit just fine.
BTW, I've never even taken my spare out to look at the jack or lugwrench.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
I don't know if they come in a size big enough, but those "easy outs" (may be called something else) from Craftsman do a pretty good job of removing rounded off nuts/bolts. If it's as tight as you say it may take some serious work to get it off. If you choose to beat on the next size smaller make sure you get a good heavy duty one as the last thing you need is a broken socket stuck on there too...

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Use a chisel on one side on the nut and give it hard hit(be careful no to slip). this will give you a place to set the chisel for the second hit to turn the nut off. The nut will spin right off. When I bought my 300M chrome wheels the guy at the junk yard had the locks off faster then he could do it with the key.

·
9,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I managed to hammer in a 19mm socket. I took at it with a socket wrench and a breaker bar. After some effort, I broke the wrench.

2nd try. Same socket. This time a craftsmen socket wrench. This one didnt break nearly as soon. But it still broke. It took the top part of the lug nut with it too.

If I can put enough force to break the lug nut in half, but yet not move it a mm, theres no way I can get it off myself. I'm off to the tire shop.

·
Registered
962 Posts
At least you get a new Craftsman ratchet

·
Registered
8,649 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
OR---- You can get a NEW, SHARP, cold chisel and CUT the nut off
longitudally(lengthwise). But by the time you get it 1/2 cut off, it'll break free!!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
They make a tool for that sort of thing. Unfortunately..odds are you won't be able to find one to purchase anywhere, but the shops do have them. Forcing it with random objects is a bad idea because you risk damaging the threads on the bolt, too. So yes a shop would be your best bet.

·
9,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tire shop got it off. Total charge - $9 and change. I was quoted $60 if they had to replace the stud.

I stoped by autozone and picked up a new 4 way, and 10 new lug nuts for the front tires.

But something odd happend. I start my car after they give the keys back to me, and I get a check engine light. They shouldnt of needed to open the hood at all.

I just checked, and its a code 31.

Haynes says:
"Problem with the canister purge soleniod circuit."

Hmmm...

*goes searching*

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Yea, I had a similar problem on my front right wheel where one lug nut just would not come off. I had gone to the tireshop to buy some new tires and my mount/balance appointment was for 9am and so I figured I could wait for them for like 2 hours and I was sure they'd be done in like half an hour later. Well, two hours went by and I asked them if my car was ready and he told me no because they tried to take it off and their Snap-On socket broke because the lugnut is so tight on there. To make a long story short, I got my car back by their closing time, at 6pm.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hartski said:
Well, I've pounded the next smaller metric socket on rounded off nuts and bolts.
Are you using six, or twelve sided sockets?
I used a 12 point socket on both rounded lug nuts and locking lug nuts. Get on that will just barely not go over the existing lug nut. Make sure you are using a 1/2" drive socket. Put an extension in the socket, place it over the lug nut, and pound that bad boy in (kind of sounds a little kinky:) . Then, if you have one, use a 1/2" drive impact wrench and that thing will come right off.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I always torque my lug nuts to specifications. 90ft/lbs. Torque them in a star pattern and they will not seize on the car.
I live in Canada that's how I learned the hard way.

·
9,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The guy who did my brakes was last to put the lugs on. He used air tools.

Part of the reason I wanted them off was to put them back on by hand. Other part was that I wanted to paint my brake calipers.

I got the check engine light cleared, fresh coat of red high temp on the front calipers, and all new lugs on the front (havent touched the rears yet). I had to guestimate 90ft/lbs, since I dont have a torque wrench that goes that high.

I need to find some nicer 19mm lugs nuts. No one seems to make them.

·
Registered
160 Posts
A little something to help prevent this in the future is to put some anti-seize on the tapered seat of the lug nuts.And please,find someone with a torque wrench you can borrow till you get one.

·
9,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There was anti-seize on the lugs. They werent seized, they were over tightened and damaged.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts