DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start I have a 97 3.5L While crusing on the highway (foot controlled not cruise controlled) my RPM's will occasionally drop by several hundred RPMs (for example from 2200 which is normal down to 1700) The drops are only for a few seconds at a time and only happen a few times in an hours drive. The car doesn't really seem to slow down or loose speed but there is a very noticable change in the way the car feels, it almost feels sticky (for lack of a better word) kind of like the feeling when you are going down hill on cruise control and the car downshifts to slow itselt down, only there is no appreciable loss of speed and the RPMs drop rather than increase.

I don't know what is causeing this but I did have my lower intake manifold gasket changed about 2 weeks ago which is about the same time I noticed this starting to happen, although I MAY have experienced this once when the gaskets were still bad, not sure since it was running kinda funky with bad gaskets.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
My car did this when my timing belt tensioner was seizing up and going bad

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Possibly, how many miles do you have on your car and have you ever changed it?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Seems kinda early for it to be going then...hum..does it only happen when you're on the highway driving for long periods of time?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Other than my hour long highway trip twice a week I only putter around town a little on a few 3-5 minute trips once in a while (I don't drive much right now) The highway is the only place it has shown itself but that doesn't mean the problem is exclusively there only that I do almost all of my driving there.

·
Registered
891 Posts
My thought would be that it would be something transmission related too. After all when you’re cruising at a constant highway speed, not really going up or down a hill it should be in fourth gear (overdrive) with the torque converter locked. And of course that would make it so the rpm’s couldn’t fluctuate. I’d definitely say something’s wrong with a tranny sensor, the transmission control module, or the torque converter it’s self.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The car does not have autostick, and the speed is about 110km/h thats about 68mph. As I said, cruising at about 2200PRM, the thing is when the tach drops it drops to around 1700RPM and I believe there is no gear ratio with the torque converter locked or unlocked that could produce 1700RPM at this speed.

As for the tranny problems mentioned (tranny sensor, the transmission control module, or the torque converter) how can I diagnose if it is any of these or tell which one it is if these are the problem?

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Umm, I know that the CEL light didn't come on, but have you checked for any stored codes? Some codes just get stored and don't light the CEL.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sounds like it may be going in and out of lock up(torque converter)Are you sure your not accidently tapping the brake pedal,that will take it out of lock up.Best thing to do is get it checked at the dealer .Prob only half hour labour

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, I'm not taping the break at all... and I could be wrong but at highway speed the RPMs could never drop that low ordinarily with the torque converter locked or unlocked, unless when you say unlocked you mean disengaged from the engine

1 - 15 of 15 Posts