DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What RPM does a 3.5 engine spin at 60 MPH? Looking for a steady state number (not accelerating or slowing) on a vehicle with 16" or 17" wheels (stock size tires/wheels)

·
9,861 Posts
Around 2100 I belive. Why?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am attempting to determine (or verify) the gearing in a 2nd generation (2002 R/T), and it seems (due to conflicting information published by Chrysler) easiest to compare RPMs at 60 MPH, rather than getting deep into debate with others over who is right or wrong. I simply want to know if a 2002 R/T has 3.59 or 3.89 gears. There are sources of info that list it both ways. I have read on this site that the 16" stock wheels /tires will not change speedometer readings vs. the 17" on an R/T. So if a 2nd (not a 2002 R/T) generation spins the same RPM at 60, the 2002 R/T has the same gears. If the RPMs are slower than my vehicle, Then I can assume that the gears I have are the 3.89 ratio. If in fact it isn't different, I will obtain the 3.89 gearset.

·
9,861 Posts
You do not have the 3.89 gear set. Only the 2.7Ls do.

You have the 3.66 gear set.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you base that on? The fact that 2001s and prior years did? How can it be verified? Better yet, what RPM does a 2nd generation (with 3.5l engine) spin at 60 with stock tires and wheels?

·
9,861 Posts
What makes you think it would change? I've never heard of a change. I know that many items did change in 02, but I know for a fact that gear ratio was not one of them. DC wouldn't risk the loss in sales due to a lower gas mileage.

No 3.2/3.5L intrepid has ever came off the production line with a 3.89 gear set. The only 3.5Ls that have had the 3.89 gears stock are the Prowler and the 300M special.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 2002 Dodge web site listed (under specifications) the 3.89 ratio, chrome wheels, 244 HP (vs. 242 previously) etc. It really is possible about the gear ratio. Please, someone let me know what RPM their (2nd gen w stock tires/wheels) turns at 60 MPH in 4th, with the car in a cruising mode (stready state speed)

·
Registered
165 Posts
i have a 1st gen 3.5 .,. and at 60 flat my rpm are 1900 flat..... i dont know good or bad but whatever. thats what they are

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Did a check on my '00 with 2.7 gearing and at 60 mph engine
nails 2000 rpm. The 3.2 that's in the car now really likes the
ratios!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, for all of the disbelievers, my 3.5 2002 R/T spins 2000 RPM at 60, also. Does this mean that I might actually have the 3.89 gears? I think that the 6% gearing difference would mean my car would spin 1880 RPM at 60 MPH if I didn't have the 3.89 gears. Please post back that it's impossible, wrong, can't be, etc. Maybe we could create doubt about the tachometer, on my car or on alarkyokie's vehicle. I recently read in the posts that someone has a gray R/T, even though Chrysler says they don't exist. Maybe I have the 3.89 gears, even though many "experts" at dodgeintrepid.net tell me repeatedly and condescendedly that it's impossible. Or maybe they are right? What does their 3.5 equipped car spin at 60MPH?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
The only way to settle this is to hook up an accurate digital tach, get your speed from a differential or WAAS equipped GPS, and verify if the t/c is locked up or not.

And then you have to compare your readings to those taken from other cars with the same test equipment.

Depending on uncalibrated analog gauges (and uncalibrated eyeballs looking at those same gauges) to determine exact driveline specs is a waste of time.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Here is how you find out.

Call your MoPar parts guy. Give him your VIN #. Ask for the part #s for the two transfer gears.

Tell me the #s

One of the part #s will either be 4659834 or 4659233
The other will be either 4659232 or 4659831

I will tell you which gear set you have.

PERIOD

Don

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
SILVER BULLET said:
Well, for all of the disbelievers, my 3.5 2002 R/T spins 2000 RPM at 60, also. Does this mean that I might actually have the 3.89 gears? I think that the 6% gearing difference would mean my car would spin 1880 RPM at 60 MPH if I didn't have the 3.89 gears.
How are you judging the RPMs? I paid very close attention while driving today, at 60MPH with my foot off the gas my tach is right at 1800 RPM, under any acceleration at all it is right on 2000 RPM and that's on a 2000 so I know I don't have the special gears

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am driving at a steady 60, with clutch in lockup, not accelerating or decelerating, foot barely on the gas, simply maintaining speed on level road. if I lift my foot off the gas, the car slows and the RPM drops a little

1 - 20 of 31 Posts