DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy again.
Tomorow I plan on washing/washing my car. I have an orbital waxer and will use that. My question is this. After I wash my car it doesnt always look 100% clean. I have tryed using meguilars cleaner wax which helps but still doesnt look 100% shiney/clean. The paint is still rough and looks a little "cloudy". Please tell me what I can do? What should I try next? Please help..

Richie

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
You could try a good polish...I recommend Meguiars Body Shop Professional Swirl Free Polish. Will work well with the waxer. You probably want a fairly aggressive polish if you can't find that stuff try any swirl remover type...3M, Meguiars, Mothers. You might think about a clay bar...I have never used one so can't say how well it would work? Follow the polish with a good wax.

http://www.meguiars.com/product_showroom/showproducts_template.cfm?SrcLine=PP&SrcCat=3

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
this may also work....

PAINT SURFACE EVALUATION TEST
Wash and dry both your car and your hands. Now run your finger tips across the paint surfaces which should feel as smooth as glass. If not, you are feeling bonded contaminants and oxidation that must first be removed with a mild, clear coat safe, abrasive cleaner like Meguiar's Clear Coat Body Scrub before applying polish or wax.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting. Will try this :+) Thank you.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Clay bar will remove the impurities and the buffer will bring out the shine. Both processes (recommend both) done right will improve the feel and the shine of the paint.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
3M Hand Polish ... Works absolute Wonders and is fairly cheap ... give it a try you won't be disappointed ..... have to use a little Elbow grease but its well worth it.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Be careful using compound polishes if that is what you are thinking. My roof of my car was totally oxidized and the hood and trunk was getting close to oxidation. I tried rubbing compound on my roof and the white film from the compound remained on my car. That was probably because it was so oxidized, but I would still be careful when doing that. Make sure its a light abrasive and try it on a spot that cant be seen very well on your car first.

Hope it works out though! =)

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
viprman said:
Clay bar will remove the impurities and the buffer will bring out the shine. Both processes (recommend both) done right will improve the feel and the shine of the paint.
I use a Meguiar's clay bar on mine at least twice a year. It leaves the paint very smooth ("smooth as glass" as Meguiar's would put it). It takes a while to do, expecially on our big cars, but it's definitely worth it. Also, I use the Meguiars "dual action polisher." It's actually just a random orbit sander made by Porter Cable, but it's awsome. Since it's not orbital, it's random, unforced movement, it doesn't generate swirl marks and it won't cause any paint burns. A high speed orbital buffer is the perfect way to destroy your paint if you don't know what you are doing. Also, always use the lowest abrassive cleaner or polish that will eliminate the defect...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts