DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, me again, I would first like to thank everyone who has assisted me thus far in diagnosing my new trep's problems. My 96 3.3 is running real, and I mean real rough. not really missing, but just rough, vibrating, clunking sound from the engine when driving around town. Highway driving is not too bad, just stop and go. Idle's fine, I DO have a tranny leak in the front seal, but the fluid is full. I have no way of telling if the valves, tranny, or something else is failing me. Codes I get are are 23 and 34, I have fixed the 23 with a new intake air temp sensor...but she seems to be on her last lag, not sure the best way (cheapest/reliable) to find out. she has 157k miles on her, and I just replaced the wires/plugs/changed the oil/filter, and air filter. Any ideas?

·
Registered
54 Posts
A possible fuel related issue? Clogged fuel filter,dirty IAC,fouled injectors,EGR issue?Just a few possible things to check out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Another thing:the motor mounts.A relatives car had a similar thing happening;very rough and shaking during stop and go,then on the highway,smooth and not shaking.Turns out it was the mounts.Just a thought...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi

Thanks everyone. Strongt, I honestly couldn't tell you anything about my plugs, other than that they are new...not much help I know, but I have absolutely no experience under the hood of ANY car...I'm thinking of switching to some copper champions, they are cheap, and it shouldnt take me too long...that should allow me to rule them out.

As for a fuel related problem, I dropped some Lucas in the tank and filled up, have only put 33 miles on her since, so it's hard to tell. Changing the fuel filter would be the easiest task to accomplish I would imagine, and would allow me to rule that out too.

And last but not least, the motor mounts...How would I go about ruling that out? How would I check that? Mechanic?

Thanks everyone, I will check those things out and get back with you all...greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
54 Posts
For the motor mounts,I'd take it in to a "good,honest mechanic".I know they're getting harder to find,but just have him do the once over and check things out.I know that doesn't help you much,but that's about the best I can offer. :fun_06: Hope you get it smoothed out.

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
What brand plugs did you use and did you gap them right? Champion Coppers came stock in these cars so it wouldn't hurt it. and if the fuel filter hasn't been changed in a long time, change it. I will admitt the fuel filter is not an easy task on these cars. Not to scare you from doing it but just worning you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok

after sitting in the car while idleing, everything is quiet. When I hit the gas (in the driveway while in park) I get a nasty rumble from under the car. Could it be the exhaust system? Also, I popped the hood while the engine was running, and revved the engine via the throttle lever....she purrs....no whining, clunking, or shaking. would the ehaust pipe/system possibly cause the shake? I appreciate everyone's input, it is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
106 Posts
OH, i thought you meant your engine was actually running rough, not sounding rough. Yes, you should check your exhaust manifolds, and downpipe flange. In addition to that just take a look under your car and see if you see any thing loose such as your exhaust brackets, loose exhaust piping, a HOLE in the exhaust. A vibrating clunking sound is most likely to come from the suspension, exhaust, or believe it or not, a rusted out fuel tank strap causing the fuel tank to jump up and down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts