DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
ive noticed a couple rust spots that were nearly invisible when i first got my trep that are starting to get larger on my hood. will claybar get rid of this? and if not how else can i remove/stop it
claybar isn't going to remove rust spots......

You need to sand it down to bare metal and repaint.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Take a wire brush to take the rust off. It will do minimal damage to the paint that is still bonded to the metal. Then lightly sand it down, primer it, paint it, and clear it Sand between each step.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
grab a can of flat black and spray the spot on your hood, then go down the side of the car spraying random spots so that one spot won't stick out so bad.. the paint will stop/slow down the rusting process

·
Registered
484 Posts
grab a can of flat black and spray the spot on your hood, then go down the side of the car spraying random spots so that one spot won't stick out so bad.. the paint will stop/slow down the rusting process
xD:rollgrin:

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Remove the hood. Wrap the hood in a plastic sheet but leave the rusted area/s uncovered. Also tape the plastic sheet down. Use 600 grit sand paper then finish it off with 800grit and sand down to bare metal. Use a primer, I prefer a light color primer on a light color and a dark color primer on a dark color. Sand down the primer with 800 grit. Have some paint mixed up that is colored matched or blended. Use a air compressor and paint gun and paint it, Wait a week or two then polish it and wax it.

Really and truly I would repaint the whole hood. Last thing you want is a spotty paint job. If you do the whole hood I would skip the primer and use a body filler as a primer and cover the whole hood. This will cover up defects that has developed over the years like rock scratches and such.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
gloss or flat?
If you want to just spray it for now till you can get it repainted right then used flat black or primer black.

Your best bet is to just sand it down and spray a paint over it that is close to your color and leave it alone till you get the hood repainted that would look much better than a black hood.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I sanded my entire hood in 400 grit then painted it gloss black with rust-o-leum because of rust. I like the looks of a black hood on my candy apple red car. Xpid just showed me something great, Mopar dealers sell little 5oz cans of color matched paint ofr mopar cars. Jus get your paint code and go to the dealer they cost 9.00 and change.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts