DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
uh oh! tapping into the ryda mod fund huh? sorry to hear keith, never had any radiator problems yet so I cannot help you with the price...

·
Woober Goobers!
50,614 Posts
Rockauto shows radiators for $110/180. Do you have a breakdown on parts/labor? Is it the dealer? I'd guess it's slightly high..but I've never shopped around for that particular fix.

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
Damn Keith That sucks. That price sounds kinda high I replaced mine for $250.00 but I did do it myself.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I used an aftermarket radiator once in an old 86 Taurus. Nothing but trouble with temp running very high after that. Could have been the brand I used but I had to go with a low temp thermostat to get it out of the red zone. And I had to switch to synthetic oil to safeguard the engine from the excess heat.

Anyone else ever have a problem with an aftermarket radiator.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sorry to hear that Keith. Last radiator I replaced was a few years ago on a different car, but as I recall, it was less than $300 parts/labor. So I think $450 would be a little high, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
price sound high in US $ but is dencent in CAN dollars LOL..

FOr my dads silhouette, it cost about 550CAN for everything in the front, fans, rad, trans cooler (built in rad), condenser. The company that supplied me with all of the parts is called american radiator (made in taiwan LOL).

I did the install myself, the car has run 30k since then and no problems. The parts fit very easily and i imagine the trep would be the same. Just pay attention to the removal process and u should be good to go.

The rad purge thing was a little messed in the van since theres no access to the rad plugs with everything assembled, i had to use a long funnel to keep on adding fluid but the easiest way around that is to top the rad and let it fill up for a few mins. The hose pattern also controls the purge process, a haynes manual should give specifics on the water pump purge. ITs pretty easy to id a problem in the cooling system, the car will overheat.

I would say its best to take ur time and do it yourself, otherwise it will certainly cost a lot more. BTW my parts were from an ebay listing, then i contacted the company directly and they shipped the parts from Canada plus all their prices were BIN so it didnt really matter.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Keith just like that sensor, do it yourself. Radiator replacing shouldn't be that hard, just a little time consuming since you haven't done it before and don't want to damage anything.

Also have you tried to lay eyes on where the leak is coming from? I know that radiators can be repaired(dunno about ours). Maybe your leak is repairable?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Oh man! That royally sucks! Shoot, Pull-a-part just got in a 2001 Intrepid that might have had a good radiator. Replacing radiators isn't that hard of a job.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Keith,

Was your car getting hot alot, if so you may want to replace the thermostat at the same time you replace the radiator. It will save you from having to do it later.

T sends...

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
its not a hard job,, just pay attention to where everything goes, I dont think the ac condenser is attached to the radiator in second gens,, could be wrong there but theres plenty of room,, id go for it and save some $$

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
I will put in one word of advise,, Autozone and crappy radiators,, seems like the transcoolers always leak,, << they have in a few hondas,, jeeps and my dakota,,, spend a few extra bucks go elsewhere

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
If you replace the OEM clamps with new ones make sure not to over tighten them, or you can crack the plastic. Just tighten them just enough to not leak. But if you use the OEM ones you don't have to worry about that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts