DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Definitly totalled my '99 Intrepid at 12:45 today... I rear ended a pickup and went under his rear end. The tow hitch tore my hood back and is now folded. It also went through and ripped the valve cover off the drivers side and broke the sprocket and timing chain. The radiator is cracked and the cross member right above it is resting against the front of the motor and something went through the oil pan. The drivers side headlight is obliterated. Here's what happened:

I was on this street in Salina that goes from 2 lanes to 4 so I moved to the left lane and was following a car that was following a truck in front of him that stopped to take a left turn. Well the guy I was following merged around the truck to the right and I didnt have enough distance to stop so I locked up the tires because i dont have ABS and skidded about 5 feet and slammed into the back of this pickup and went underneath his rear end going about 30 or so. I slammed my head on the steering wheel and my knees hit the dash. the damage to my car ended up totalling it out. Got a $100 ticket because I rear ended him.

I have a couple things that made it through the wreck that I am willing to sell including:
-The passenger side headlamp
-2 Front stock door speakers
-Factory head unit (tape deck, no CD)
-A cargo net for the trunk

If you're interested in any of these things let me know. I'm hoping to get another Intrepid or a 300M...I guess we'll see!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,627 Posts
sounds like about 15k in repairs and the car is prob worth 6 -10k damn that sucks. hey now you can get the new 300 hemi. hey do you think theyll accept a trade in? you know those push pull or tow deals?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I'm ok, a little sore and I have a nice raspberry on my forehead from when I showed my steering wheel who's boss haha. Weirdly the airbag didn't go off. Must not have been going fast enough or I didnt hit just right... I can maybe get 5K out of it off KBB but we also have a $2400 check from the hail damage estimate that the insurance company will probably want back. I'm glad we hadn't just gotten the hail damage repaired or I would have been pissed! The 300M Hemi is out of the question. I'm too poor. I'm looking for a 1999 or 2000ish 300M. We'll see what the insurance company has to say. In the meantime, I guess I should join the Hyundai Elantra forums because that's what I'm stuck with for now from Enterprise haha. It was nice of Enterprise to work with me because I don't turn 21 until October 23rd and you need to be 21 to rent from them. Thanks again for the concern guys! I'll keep this updated on what I might be driving in the future and I'll get some pics of the car up as soon as I get them uploaded!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,379 Posts
rplate said:
I guess I should join the Hyundai Elantra forums because that's what I'm stuck with for now from Enterprise haha. It was nice of Enterprise to work with me because I don't turn 21 until October 23rd and you need to be 21 to rent from them.
Glad they were able to help out :) They are pretty good around here too. I rented from them and they upgraded my next rental since what I rented was the most tiniest scariest thing I've ever driven. Of course I didn't tell him I drove an Intrepid on any other usual day lol

Take it easy and happy shopping
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha thanks. I remember when my mom's Jeep was in the shop for a while and we rented a Geo Metro wagon...Driving to school with me and a trombone and my neighbor and his trumpet was interesting considering the fact that I'm 6'2" and my mom is about 5'11". Oh well, what can ya do? haha.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for the double post but the updated list of items I am selling now is only the:

-2 Front stock door speakers
-Factory head unit (tape deck, no CD)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:
Purchased a 2002 300M today. It's the dark blue with black leather interior, looks like aftermarket rims and low-profile tires, and power seats. Other than that I dont really know because it's in Kansas City and my dad did all the legwork on his end. I should have it here by next week so we'll see what kind of bells and whistles it has!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Airbag

rplate said:
Yeah I'm ok, a little sore and I have a nice raspberry on my forehead from when I showed my steering wheel who's boss haha. Weirdly the airbag didn't go off. Must not have been going fast enough or I didnt hit just right...
If you stopped quickly enough to bang your head on the steering wheel, my gut feeling is that the air bag didn't deploy properly, no matter what speed you were going. I would report this to NTSB via their web page, as I've heard other cases of the airbags not going off when they should have. Definately something they should be made aware of. Your insurance co. will be happy for the salvage value of the airbag, but they really don't want you to get hurt either. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You know, I was thinking the same thing until my buddy mentioned that some cars, probably ours included, will disable the airbag deployment if the seatbelts are not fastened, which mine was not...I know, bad call, but I wear it everywhere now. I'm not going to get up on a soap box here, but I would suggest the same to everyone since this much damage was caused by a 30mph wreck. Imagine if I had been going 45!! So does anyone know for sure if the Intrepids disable the airbags if the seatbelts are not fastened?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,455 Posts
rplate said:
I'm glad we hadn't just gotten the hail damage repaired or I would have been pissed!
But...if had gotten the hail damaged fixed it would have offset the timeline and you would have never hit that truck...just something to ponder. ;)

Edit: I watched Back To The Future too many times as a kid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
micholob said:
But...if had gotten the hail damaged fixed it would have offset the timeline and you would have never hit that truck...just something to ponder. ;)

Edit: I watched Back To The Future too many times as a kid
HAHA! Yeah maybe, but I think it's better that I hit the truck without getting the hail damage fixed because we used the check from the hail damage and the wreck to buy a 2002 300M!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
851 Posts
i dont think the carrier will ask for their old check back. i would cash that and still anticipate a total loss figure from the carrier, certainly wouldnt go bringing it up, how long ago was it? my take is this is a new claim and new circumstances. they may deduc some appeareance allowance on the valuation of your total loss, but they cant ask for the check back. your fourtunate to have collision coverage. i would expect to be offer less than blue book value. most in the nsurance business dont use kelley values.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
buffalo r/t said:
i dont think the carrier will ask for their old check back. i would cash that and still anticipate a total loss figure from the carrier, certainly wouldnt go bringing it up, how long ago was it? my take is this is a new claim and new circumstances. they may deduc some appeareance allowance on the valuation of your total loss, but they cant ask for the check back. your fourtunate to have collision coverage. i would expect to be offer less than blue book value. most in the nsurance business dont use kelley values.
Well they sent us the check a couple months ago and I totalled the car on August 22nd. They didn't ask for the check back but I'm sure they shorted us some on the total value so they weren't out the $2400 they gave us for the hail damage. I think I ended up getting about $3500 for the car.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top