DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least that's what the guy at Discount Tire told me today. They can't order them and no store around has them in stock anymore. I'm at 3/32 on my tires so I'm looking for some replacements. After reading through a few threads here, the HydroEdge looked like the ones to get. :-/

So now I don't know what to do. He suggested the Pirelli P4s, said they're a better tire and a few bucks cheaper. I also was looking at Goodyear Eagle GTs, Goodyear Assurance ComforTred, the Pirelli P4s, and of course the Hydro Edge which he can't get anymore.

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
if you have the coin for hydro edges,, look at Bridgestone potenza RE760's, they replace the re960,, and that is a excellent tire

·
Registered
555 Posts
I've got a set of Hydro-edges for ya pics to be posted Friday sitting in basement at work atm 225/60/16 very good condition I got em from the yard with the intent to put em on my SE but I came across the R/T and it takes 17's so... 200bones plus shipping and they are yours

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really didn't have the money for them. It was at the top of my budget and stretching it a bit. I'd like to get something cheaper if possible but nothing came close performance wise to the HydroEdge.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got a set of Hydro-edges for ya pics to be posted Friday sitting in basement at work atm 225/60/16 very good condition I got em from the yard with the intent to put em on my SE but I came across the R/T and it takes 17's so... 200bones plus shipping and they are yours
That would be amazing!! Any idea how old they are and how much tread is left? Shipping would be to 46311.

·
Grab Your ***** By The Horns
5,666 Posts
Dayum. I gave away 5 of those when I sold my old SE to my best friend.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I have totally loved the GY Assurance ComforTreads in 225/60R16. They are 80k tires and I fully expect to get that out of mine.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
if you have the coin for hydro edges,, look at Bridgestone potenza RE760's, they replace the re960,, and that is a excellent tire
Thats what I just put on the sport

·
Registered
149 Posts
those michelin hydroedge tire are really nice .good buy. a lot of tread left. if you get them put the deeper treads up front . my brther wanted a set of those for his 2003 sxt with the 3.5 l h.o. . but like you said they were out of his budget and the gy assurance were also . so he settled for the michelin harmony tires in the 225/60 r 16. they were $540.00 everything with free rotating and balance every 5000 miles plus the manufactures $70.00 off mail in rebate.

·
Registered
555 Posts
those michelin hydroedge tire are really nice .good buy. a lot of tread left. if you get them put the deeper treads up front . my brther wanted a set of those for his 2003 sxt with the 3.5 l h.o. . but like you said they were out of his budget and the gy assurance were also . so he settled for the michelin harmony tires in the 225/60 r 16. they were $540.00 everything with free rotating and balance every 5000 miles plus the manufactures $70.00 off mail in rebate.
THAT IS WRONG whats said in bold print. You WANT the better tires in the rear. If you have bald or worn tires in the rear and drive in the rain and or snow the rear tires will hydroplane easier and if you just go around a curve or have to make an emergency manuever you have a GREATER chance to spin out. With the worn tires up front you have a better chance at feeling the loss of traction due to hydroplaning and have better control over it then you would the rear. Regardless whether the vehicle fwd rwd 4x4 or awd ALWAYS PUT THE NEW/BETTER TIRES ON THE REAR. Watch the youtube video produced by Michelin below as evidence I'm not talking out my ass.

P.S. I mean no disrespect to Tony whatsoever. Many folks have it hardwired in to have the better tires up front for traction which in theory is correct however, as the video below shows that is clearly not the case.

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
STRMVT is right you know...

Sucks to think about putting the 'good' tires off the drive tires - but it really is be ONLY way to do it...

THE ONLY exception I can think of to this, is in the above case, where the 'not as good' tires in the rear on this case are NOT that different in tread depth - THEN, and only then, can I see putting the other tires in the front where more wear is possible. But even then, you still gotta keep an eye on things to make sure that you aren't loosing a tire in the rear due to an alignment issue or what ever...

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
That's good to hear because those are more in my price range and were recommended to me by Discount tire as well.
Completely agree with Scott on this one. I have comfortreads as well, and they ride very well. Ive put about 20,000 miles on them and still have almost brand new tread. No bad wear patterns, almost no road noise, and they handle VERY well

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
as promised here's the pics of the Hydro-edges I have

All four

Size and Name
Those look good. Any idea how well they'll clean up? I love in 46311, what would shipping be?

I have a chance to get 4 Good year comfortreads brand new installed with warranty for about $400 so that's another option i'm considering.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I had a tire crack on the sidewall (original 9yr old tires on front) today so I had them all replaced. I'm going with the comfort treads, hope I like them. I just wanted to say thank you for your time and effort in digging out those tires for me. I wish I could have taken off your hands but I ran into this problem and was put in a pickle!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts