DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what do you think?
What are things you need to consider??
There are inherent dangers working on cars. People have been seriously injured and killed working on cars.

Where do you place a jack?
When working on electrical systems, what do you do first??

Discuss here.

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
Never lay under a car thats supported by just a jack. Support it with jackstands if you are going to work under it. Disconnect the battery when working with anything electrical. You dont want an accidental short, or God forbid, airbag in face. I'll let some other guys take over. Dont wanna hog thie whole thread. lol

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
One thing I do is after the car is up on the jack stands is I bump or shake it a bit to make sure it is not going to fall while I'm under it trying to loosen a bolt or something. if it seems even slightly unstable jack it back up and reset the stands. same goes for at the junk yard to.

·
get off my lawn
15,505 Posts
you know,, in Auto safety theres so many little things, example,, safety glasses, ever crawl under your car to do something simple, and end up wearing a patch over a eye cause something fell in?? I have, maybe 8 or 9 times, think i would learn,, nope, 4 years ago , i had both eyes scraped, wind blew in the shop and I got a face full of shavings off the rotor lathe, yes I wear glasses,, but they dont wrap around my face,, I do have side sheilds now
remember,, its THE LITTLE things that will get you in trouble

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
I'm not comfortable working under a car unless that thing is on a lift.
cars can fall off lifts to. I have seen it happen 20 feet from where I was standing. one guy was doing an oil change on an F150 he didn't have the weight distributed correctly and when he went to remove the filter just him pushing up was enough to make it pivot on the rear arms the front went in the air inches from the ceiling and the back landed on the trailer hitch. lucky no one and nothing was hurt, but it could have gone really bad really quick.

Common sense.
:highfive:

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Usually I just use the lift at Dad's job but for minor things when I put the car on Jack Stands...I usually toss a spare tire right behind the jack just in case something happens.

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The problem with common sense is that isn't to common it seems. I hear of people all the time getting hurt. Taking short cuts, not wearing eye protection with power tools or spray painting with no mask. We all takenshort cuts and risks that can have bed consequences. Wheel chocks are so easy to use but you hardly seemthem used.
Be safe out there gentelmen!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I had my 72 challenger slide back and pin me, a totally helpless feeling waiting for someone to help.

Then feeling like an a$$ not relizing that adjusting the shifter linkage MAY knock it out of gear!

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
Good idea for a thread...

Safety of others is just as important as yourself...

When striking an arc with a welder - sure, you've got a mask - but what about the guy holding the other end of the work piece?

What about doing something and not knowing your 5 year old has walked into the garage?

Along with keeping the shop clean, keeping chemicals up and out of the reach of little hands...

The safety for others is just as important, have to remember that there can be people walking into a work area unannounced.

Also - check out the second link in my sig.

·
Registered
32 Posts
"Safety Forced"

CDMCCUL: This discussion really brings that (rough) pun of yours you have been so fond of repeating (I don't understand why you didn't state it here) into proper perspective...

You really do have to FORCE safety; "common sense" just isn't good enough, think about what you are doing and force yourself to do the SAFE thing, not the easy or expedient (or lazy) thing.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Hardwareguy's Shop Rules (aka horse sense!)

First and foremost... Don't be stupid....prevent death!

NEVER get under a vehicle supported only by a jack! USE JACKSTANDS OR DIE!

NO SMOKING.....EVER! (its bad for you even when you are away from gasoline!)

Use the right tool for the job. The wrong tool may cause the job to take longer or damage you, the part you are working on, the tool or a combination thereof.

NEVER open a hot cooling system.

Do not work when excessively tired, drunk or otherwise unfit to work on a car.

Keep the FSM, Haynes or Chiltons manual handy. Do not proceed until you fully understand the procedure. (RTFM!)

Torque bolts to the specified torque using a torque wrench if a torque is specified.

Use the right fluids for the right vehicle/vehicle system.

Have a well lit shop...and a backup light just in case! (yes, we have had the lights go out during MODFEST...having a battery flashlight was great!)

Keep the shop well ventilated with crossflow fan ventilation when using solvents or testing engines. Beware of Carbon Monoxide!

Have an ABC fire extinguisher and a water source handy.

Read all warning labels on chemicals.

Stay hydrated....heat exhaustion sucks!

Keep all power tools and cords in good condition. If a tool trips the GFCI, it's no good!

Read all manuals pertaining to your tools. There may bee cool features or hidden dangers you may have overlooked. (this especially applies to electrical test gear!)

Disconnect the battery when making changes to the electrical system.

Clean spills ASAP.

Wash skin ASAP if irritated or a harsh chemical has been spilled on you.

Do not use gasoline as a hand cleaner. (yes...people STILL do this!)

Wear safety glasses when grinding, using strong chemicals or working under the car.

Do not dump oil....recycle it.

Work with a friend if possible.

Drain the air compressor tank! A rusty tank is a time bomb.

Do not weld near the gas tank. :D

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
This happened about 4 weeks ago to a good friend of mine. Make sure young children aren't around. My buddies 5 year old son (who is a little heathen anyways) decided it would be fun to play with daddies jack while dad and grandpa were under the car taking the safety chains off that were holding it on the trailer. Luckily neither were seriously hurt but they were both pinned between the car and trailer for a couple minutes while "mom" had to figure out how to work the jack.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts