DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering I anyone knows what is the definition of a salvage vehicle. I am asking this because I believe that most of the rear end of my car is fiberglass, at least where the it looks that way inside the trunk under the carpet. That would explain why the dodge intrepid labels were not on the trunk where they were suposed to be. I also notice that the strip that goes along the middle of the door is faded on one side(I hope you know what I am talking about). Could this be from sun damage while it was sitting to be repaired. It was not noted as a salvege vehicle when I bought it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Did you buy your vehicle NEW from the dealer??? If so, take it back and have THEM explain it to you. If no help, see your State Attorney General.
If it was bought used, it may have just been wrecked bad and fixed poorly. It would probably not have to have a salvage title then.
GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
229 Posts
The "Salvage Vehicle" title comes down to whether the insurance company wants to repair a vehicle after an accident or whether they junk (salvage) it. For example, if you fall asleep and run into a tree you can do two things:
1) Wait for the insureance company to cover costs of repair (they may salvage it or fix it)
2) Drive home and fix it yourself. This way you're certain not to get a salvage title on it.
So it really comes down to the insurance company and dollar values.... not how good the car is necesarily.

This probably doesn't help you any though. I agree with Rich as far as asking the dealer if it was a new car... or it could be a "clean" title after a wreck, and a poor fix.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did not buy it new. I bought it 1 1/2 years ago. it looks like the whole rear end is fiberglass except for the outside peices of course. It may just be me. I will have to take a picture and try to figure out how to put it on this site. thanks.

·
Registered
229 Posts
but keep in mind that carfax will only show a wreck it's gone through the insurance process. so there's still a possibility of being wrecked if carfax doesn't show it.

·
Registered
617 Posts
did the sales lot sell you the car and not tell you the car was a salvage? if so you have the right to contest the car and ask for a return or refund up to 2 years prior to buying the vehicle. check local laws for more info. I once bought a trailer home under the impression it had new siding on the outside. It turned out that the home didnt have new siding when it was delivered. At first i thought i was screwed because i didnt have it in writing. I called the comapany and told them i was lied to, the head of sales basiclly told me i was screwed because i didnt have anything in writing. I wrote articles in all the of local papers telling people what happend to me and then started a law suit against them. I got a list of other customers from the company to do a customer satisfaction surrvey. Almost every customer that bought home from them had serious complaints. Well to make a already long story short, we settled out of court with the conditions that they take back my trailer, pay off the loan amount, and give me 10k for my troubles. The moral of the story would be that you can still do something about getting the raw end of the deal even if you dont have anything in writing. good luck

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
IntrepidLHS said:
www.carfax.com spend the 15 bucks there...
Carfax doesn't work all the time, my cars been in at least 4 accidents over the past 5 years. All 4 were reported, Carfax says no accidents.

Also, how can a car with a fiberglass rear end meet safety specifications? How did it pass the safety inspection?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts