DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am helping a friend with a homemade sandrail and Jerry is thinking of different powerplants. I told him about the 3.5L layout and he is interested in possibly using 3.5L engine and trans.
The question is
What year should we look for? looking for minimum computer / wiring stuff
Is there just a ECM or is there a PCM also?
If there is a PCM What would we need to do to make this setup work?
What do you suggest?

Thank You
Brian

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Any 3.5L powerplant will work. Just beware that to make it work, you will need a large portion of the electrical system intact. The BCM, PCM and TCM (TCM is separate before 2002) must be connected over the bus. On the plus side, you have the instrumentation (tach, speedometer, etc) taken care of.

You might as well hook up the A/C while you are at it. :D

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Sounds fun! I have a buddy who builds rails. He has built a couple of them with the TBird Super Coupe motors on them mated to a transaxle. Not sure what transaxle he used, but I DO know they are a BLAST to drive!!

I would think that any LH 3.2/3.5 would be a nice setup as well. Be sure to get all the electronics as was mentioned above for whatever year you use!

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Sorry Brian, the Intrepid engine is rather computer dependant.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
04IntrepidSXT said:
Sorry Brian, the Intrepid engine is rather computer dependant.
No more so than a 'conventional' engine being distributor dependant. Just need to grab all of the correct pieces and wiring harness segments.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
If he did this with the LH electronics, he would have a VERY easy job of making his sand rail street legal :D

The BCM is there, just add the lights :D

A sand rail with an EVIC..... hell yeah!

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
hardwareguy said:
A sand rail with an EVIC..... hell yeah!
Nah - then he'd have too many choices. Have the horn chirp with door lock/unlock, or enable central locking, TPS readout always low... And then there is the temp display.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
04IntrepidSXT said:
Nah - then he'd have too many choices. Have the horn chirp with door lock/unlock, or enable central locking, TPS readout always low... And then there is the temp display.
I dunno, a compass and thermometer might be kinda cool on a sand rail. TPS would be a nice bonus, but yeah, it would say low tires. :D

Of course, he could get an EVIC without TPM, but still there would be the fuel economy readout..... on the sand rail over sand, that might be just a bit depressing. :p

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I suggest to do what Sand Rails did. They use a 1G engine 3.5 liter twin turbo. THey didn't use the stock PCM. They have installed a custom PCM with is hown sensors ( crank, cam, map, sensor). The link to see this sand rail: Sand rail

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
ACR said:
I suggest to do what Sand Rails did. They use a 1G engine 3.5 liter twin turbo. THey didn't use the stock PCM. They have installed a custom PCM with is hown sensors ( crank, cam, map, sensor). The link to see this sand rail: Sand rail

That is too cool! Leave it up to ACR to find the really cool stuff. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts