DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Jeep has a Patriot on their corporate stand at the Minnesota State Fair. I'm friends with the guy from DCX who manages the Dodge and Jeep stands and got the keys from him.

Loads of room inside. More than you'd think given the set of the roofline and windows. At 6-2 I've got some decent, not great, but decent headroom.

The Patriot is a pre-production mule but at this date it should be pretty close to 'real-world'.

I also sat in a Jeep Compass. This baby has MORE headroom than the Patriot did. Maybe the difference was the manual seats on the Compass and the power seats on the Patriot, I dunno. The Jeep back-end on the Compass makes it look a hell of a lot better from all angles than the Caliber.

The Dodge stand has a Nitro but I didn't have time to sit in that one.

Now we just need decent 4 and 6 cyl turbo-diesels to match up with the CVT2 transaxle........

·
Registered
472 Posts
Whats wrong with CVTs?? Granted I have no experience with them whatsoever but from a purely technical standpoint, if they CAN do what they say they can, they would be miracles of engineering for both fuel economy and performance. Almost sound too good to be true if they work properly.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
[QUOTE='98-ESer]CVTs love low-end torque, just the ticket for a turbo D.[/QUOTE]
Umm Low end torque in a turbo ?????? I'm sure they would love it bcs it's so lowww, and it wouldn't hurt them. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I can't stand the CVT. I drove a Compass with it. I liked the car but hated the transmission! Thank god they can come with a manual transmission.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
The CVT you do not feel it shift so much. I LOVE that jerking of the transmission, WHEN ITS RIGHT, I could get a manual, but I like automatic.

My mom has a CVT in her car. The thing always acts up and oddly too, never predictable, shift points are all different at times. Its all compputer controlled so We have no idea how its supposed to shift.

Awhile ago the thing would not shift into second at the right RPMS, did that for about a month and then decided to work.

The thing I hate MOST about them is when you smash the accelerator into the floor, the Transmission pauses for about 5 seconds, THEN goes! I could beat any car off the line if it has a CVT!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts