DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's been over a year since my wreck in our 3.5L '95 Intrepid ES, but yesterday we finally began working on rebuliding it. The car sustained fairly major damage to the front passenger side, as it hit a tree between the headlight and corner lens. The block, aside from a broken A/C mounting bracket, seems unharmed; a new front cover will be required though. From there it is all body panels and other accessories, the large K-Frame was untouched, so most of the vitals were spared. (Less the $200 radiator which we had just replaced.) For those of you who have taken the time to look, you know that the ECU on the Intrepids is located in the front corner of the passenger side inner fender, a piece which now is a piece of twisted steel. The ECU took a direct hit and is shattered. Here's my question, is a '97 ECU compatible with a '95. Both cars have 3.5L engines and automatic transmissions, however, the '95 was a fully-equiped ES model, complete with OTIS, and the '97 was a bare-bones SE. If I am not mistaken, there has been some issue with that before, hasn't there? If not, well, would everything else be a simple "Plug-n-Play" swap? Right now, this is what we are the most unsure of in our rebuild. Also, any advice as to how to go about this process would be welcomed. If you have any experience working in this area of the car, we'd like to hear from you. This rebuld will take some torching and welding, as part of the Unibody has been destroyed, so knowing the best places to make our repairs would be nice. Also, we are in need of the airbags for this car, as both were triggered in the wreck. If you have some extras or know where to get them, please let us know. Thanks for all of your help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, we realized that yesterday. Thank you though. Fortunately, there are lots of older 'Treps around here, so we should be able to find a suitable replacement fairly simply. As far as I understand, the ECUs are the same for every 3.5L, right? Options (Fog lights, Infinity Sound System, Autiomatic Climate Control, etc.) do not matter, do they?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
what color is your inside i have the steering wheel air bag & clock spring and complete dash with air bag you'll also need airbag sensors if it's gray let me know all of these parts came from non wrecked car that i stripped you can pm me or email [email protected]

ecu i have also the car had all of the things yours did

ohio

·
Registered
223 Posts
is there any color besides grey?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
The PCM or ECU does not have anything to do with stuff like OTIS or ATC that is all controlled by the BCM which is located inside the dash on the passenger side. Everything should work but yea you could probably switch a 95 with a 97 just the 2 O2 sensors won't work but I would check to make sure all pins match up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
eagle88 said:
is there any color besides grey?
I've seen gray, blue, and black even, but those are usually on the newer models (read '96, '97) Ours is the three tone Gray combination. I think they called it "Slate Gray," I'm not sure...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts