DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was Heading home from work today and a Maroon Trep 2nd gen goes whizzing by with a Mustang Cobra right behind it. They got to the light ahead of me and right when I got there they took off big time, burning tires & smoke from both cars. The thing that made my jaw hit the floor was that the Trep was spinning the "REAR" wheels!!!! They ran for a half mile or so and the trep & mustang were dead even. I have no clue what the guy did to the trep but I'd sure as hell like to see under the hood and under the car in general. He also had a scoop on the hood but I couldn't see if he had a blower, ram air or what. If I see him again I'm going to try and get him to stop so I can check it out. Man it was a shock but what a thrill!!

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Hmmmm...interesting. If you were in the Midwest I'd say it might be a test mule for the 3rd Gen RWD cars. Still might be. Did the car looked "pieced together"? Did the hoodscoop look out of place? Could be a 5.7 Hemi under the hood and a DC engineer behind the wheel. If you see it again, see if it has manufacturer plates and a bunch of computer crap on the dash.

I find it hard to believe someone would convert their Intrepid to RWD or AWD, but I've heard weirder. :) Stop him if you can and get some answers!

[ December 28, 2001: Message edited by: Intrepidatious ]

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car didn't seem pieced together. It looked exactly as it should have looked. The hood looked normal and the scoop paint matched. It was near APL which is the place where the fuel cell for the concept Charger was developed. I didn't occur to me that this could be a DC test car. I didn't get a good enough look at the tags or dash area. I hope to see it again though.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Cool, Redblurr, lucky you!!!

You know Dodge has always said the LH chassis' we're built to go either way (front/rear wheel drive) and I've often wondered what it would take to do one. Myself, I prefer rear-wheel drive and can you imagine what a 'Trep could do with a 340/360/383/440 etc. and a 727 tranny. Holy **** !!! With the aerodynamics and that engine/tranny setup we'd eat any rice burner alive. I'll bet it is a prototype or someone who has some serious bucks to have that kind of work done and still look factory. I'd be leaning to the proto, though. Let us know if you see it again or you hook up with the driver.

·
Registered
349 Posts
if it is a prottype with a v8 (5.7 maybe), how the hell did they shoe-horn that thing under the hood? If it's some guy with a lot of money... I sure wish he'd join this website. I hope you see that guy again and follow him... we need answers :)

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
sweet...i bet that Cobra was like WTF!! when that trep kept up with him. :D

·
Registered
415 Posts
If I was the guy in the cobra, I would have almost **** myself and like immediately took it to a shop and had it looked at for any problems! I would have been like "A damn family sedan almost tore me a new asshole in a street race!!! FIX IT NOW!" :p

·
Registered
504 Posts
OK, there are 3 of us in the area, so if you tell us where this was, maybe we can keep an eye out...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Madtxn it was on Rt. 29 near where it intersects with Rt 32 at around 4pm. It was heading south on 29. I don't normally go home that way but I guess for a while I will have too. I didn't see where he turned off.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Well, I'm over there all the time, so I'll keep an eye out.

·
Registered
560 Posts
im right out here outside of bethesda...(been out of action for a while) oh yeah, intrepidatious, there is a mopar plant in delaware.... (crap, where the hell did i see it??) its either just over MD/DE line, right near univ of delaware, or its in the OTHER direction, past hagerstown MD....
anyway, me and my buddys have been filming random antics for a "movie" we're making, ill start carryuing the damn camera itn he car wiht me, maybe we'll get some spy video of that damn car!!!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I have been going home the same way since I saw that damn car & I haven't seen it since. The only thing I can figure is that the Washington DC auto show was that week and maybe DC engineers were taking a little jaunt to it. I give up! I should have followed the god damn car the first time I saw it. Now I kick myself :mad: every time I think about it. Oh well. Time to move on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts