DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My house was built in the early 60's. A small bathroom with a sink, toilet, and shower. Only bathroom for a 3 bedroom house. Back 20 years ago - I replaced the tub and added a floor. The Wife has been wanting to redo this room and the time was right.

I did everything - except hire my plumber buddy to do the water lines. The tub trap was 1.5" and broke - we had to dig 2" deep to get it replaced. Pain in the ass.

I'll NEVER do drywall again!

I let the Wife pick everything out and we ordered it. We got all the supplies before COVID hit. Still had the Home Depot trips for this or that. Luckily I can walk to HD in 5 minutes or be there in 1 minute with the car.

Here's the picture show with some notes - overall it came it real good and modern.

The tear down:

Then the test fitting....

Around this time - I did a Apple update and it changed my picture format to the EHIC. I took a **** load of pics of adding two pull out shelves in the shower area. Lots of work - came out great!

So i wanted the shower turn on to be near the opening and not near the shower head where you would get wet if you turned on the water.

We decided to use a stationary piece of glass in the shower. Hence having the flow control right in the opening. the other pipe is for a handheld unit.

Now the tiling starts - a buddy had a pro tile wet saw.

So - we had picked this back splash for the niche (4' wide). Once we got the floor in - it was TOO busy - so I have to re-tile that back splash...

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Screw drywall

I had to do some trimming with the cut off wheel. Wear your safety glasses kiddies. This is what happened!

Here's some of the finish product.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,003 Posts
That looks spectacular Chris. Appreciate all the photos of the work in progress.

Did you patch the hole in the ceiling from the UFO cutoff wheel?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
"Did you patch the hole in the ceiling from the UFO cutoff wheel? " Seein' that piece stuck in the ceiling is a real eye opener!

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Did you patch the hole in the ceiling from the UFO cutoff wheel? " Seein' that piece stuck in the ceiling is a real eye opener!
I think I left the ceiling alone.

I need to post up posts of the kitchen work I did while do this project.

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW - the two lights in the shower are also fart fans. They were about $150.00 each with dimmable lights. So no need for an extra 'unit' coming from the ceiling.

·
Grab Your ***** By The Horns
5,612 Posts
Looks really good Chris, vey nice work!!

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,516 Posts
Did you use mastic or mortar on the tiles?

I've only ever used mortar; some say mastic is easier and cleaner but doesnt adhere as well to some tiles?

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For the shower basin - I used standard Mortar from Home Depot - $6 a bag. I laid out the perimeter of the basin and then did a chalk line about 2" inside of it. Ran about 2" thick of mortar to that line. Then placed the shower basin in and firmly set it. No creeks - no soft spots - solid shower basin floor.

As for the wall and floor tile - I used Mapei Ultraflor Plus Mortar with polymer. Those 1' x 2' wall tiles stuck when placed against the mortar. Back butter the tiles before setting.

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dan - do your math - notice the niche and the shower control knob are right at the end of a tile height?

It took some planning to get this right - but the tile line is right at the niche, no oddball side cuts on the end.

That was something the Wife wanted - I never thought of it. Looks real clean

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,516 Posts
Dan - do your math - notice the niche and the shower control knob are right at the end of a tile height?

It took some planning to get this right - but the tile line is right at the niche, no oddball side cuts on the end.

That was something the Wife wanted - I never thought of it. Looks real clean
Right, I like it, good call there....

Those slide out shelves are sweet too!

In bathroom #1, probably just going with the standard locations centered above the tub overflow and drain; though it would be cool to locate the shower valve on the opposite side so you can just slide open the glass door and turn it on without being sprayed by cold water. Thats 50/50 since there is a tub in that bathroom, and the door opens from both sides. The extra plumbing might not be worth the time.

In bathroom #2, which shower only, I'm installing 3 body sprayers as well so its going to be a bit of math to get everything placed right without making crazy tile cuts. I like that idea and may put the valve on the opposite side like that. I'm putting in a glass shower door too so I'll have to factor that in. I reckon I'll finalize all that once I get it torn down and see where everything will fit.

Hoping to save as much drywall as possible too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts