DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this today. Is it worth it? Can I damage my car in anyway if not done properly? Do I just spray this stuff on the exposed throttle body hole?

Sorry for the 21 questions but I've heard from a lot of people this stuff is golden. Also hardwareguy gave me a tutorial but I'm kind of paranoid since I just got some senors put in. I don't want to screw my Trep up. Pictures would be cool if anyone has any so I could see exactly what the heck I should be removing. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok where in the hell do I put the seafoam? I colored the sections I'm guessing.....

Also will I get a check engine light? Will it hurt any sensors?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
when i did my seafoam, I used the hose you colored in green, and let it suck up the liquid in there bit by bit...it took a while, and the car kept shutting off untill i got the hang of when to stop letting it suck up the liquid...idk how the spray works, but that liquid seemed to work fine for me!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Update-

oh my oh my........

All I can say is WOW! What a friggin' difference...my goodness. It's like I got a brand new car lol. It has more HP, and smooth as butter. I used to hear the engine tapping and the noise is gone with the wind. I can't even tell if the engine is on. Throttle response is vastly improved also. Between Seafoam, the Mobil 1 10W-30 and the K&N drop in filter my car is loving me.

Anyway on with how it went down. Warmed the car up real nice, parked it. Popped hood and unplugged pcv hose. Put my finger tip on the valve tip and felt suction....I then proceeded to move the red straw attached to the nozzle next to the valve hole but not in it. I simply sprayed away and the car sucked it up. As it was about to stall I let up a little then kept spraying. Once the can was done I turned the car off, attached the hose again, and closed the hood and waited for about 10 min. Started her back up and it was a tad hesitant.

Once I started driving I saw the smoke in the back window. Wasn't much at first but once I picked up speed it got really thick. I started putting the peddle to the metal and the car acted like it wanted to stall for half a second and my check engine light came on flashing. That lasted maybe 1 1/2 seconds and then the smoke disappeared and it picked up a little. I drove it on the highway gunning it on occassion and to my delight I never felt that in that car. It had some serious kick and smooth as hell. This stuff is performance in a can.......period!

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
300th post :D

Actually, I like to spray the stuff in the IAC passage in the throttle body.

This cleans the idle air controller (IAC), the intake, intake valves and combustion chambers all at the same time.

To do this: Warm up the motor to full temp, disconnect the air hose and witht he motor idling, spray the WHOLE can through the small IAC passage in the throttle body. You may need to pulse the spray to prevent stalling.

Once the can is gone, shut the motor off, put the hose back on and shut the hood. Let it cook in there for a couple of hours and then restart the engine.

The motor may be hard to start, give it gas and crank at the same time.

Lots of nasty smoke will come out, wait for the idle to stabilize and then drive the car at least 10 miles. You must do at least 5 wide open throttle accelertations for the best cleaning effect.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
hardwareguy said:
Actually, I like to spray the stuff in the IAC passage in the throttle body.

This cleans the idle air controller (IAC), the intake, intake valves and combustion chambers all at the same time.

To do this: Warm up the motor to full temp, disconnect the air hose and witht he motor idling, spray the WHOLE can through the small IAC passage in the throttle body. You may need to pulse the spray to prevent stalling.

Once the can is gone, shut the motor off, put the hose back on and shut the hood. Let it cook in there for a couple of hours and then restart the engine.

The motor may be hard to start, give it gas and crank at the same time.

Lots of nasty smoke will come out, wait for the idle to stabilize and then drive the car at least 10 miles. You must do at least 5 wide open throttle accelertations for the best cleaning effect.
Would that bring up any codes or check engine light? Is it the red arrow(top or bottom?) or green arrow? This sounds like a better Idea I'll go this route next time.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I think what hardwareguy is referring to would be the big air duct that feeds the engine. Removing that and spraying would allow you to get into the IAC passage. Its either that or remove the IAC itself and spray, but you couldn't do that with the engine running. I can't tell what the red arrow is pointing at, it might be the IAC, and again the green arrow, to the best of my knowlege is for the EVAP system. That may trigger a CEL, but I'm not 100% on that. I'm not sure under what conditions the pcm uses the EVAP purge. But even if it does trip a code, you'd be able to find out why by doing the key dance and getting the code(s). And if you find an EVAP code you already know why and can ignore it. But keep in mind how close the EVAP line and the pcv line are to one another. It shouldn't make any difference between the two of them to use, both should bet the seafoam to where you want it to go. any of the vacuum lines that are on either side of the plenum will only feed that side. Which is why you'll wnat to stick with one near the throttle body, so if feeds all and cleans everything up real nice.

Oh and enjoy the smoke show! I did my wife's sebring with about 92000 miles on it. Stalled it, let it sit for maybe 10 minutes. Had to put my foot to the floor to get it started and that mofo smoked for a good 20 minutes! Holy ****, I thought somebody was gonna call the cops or fire for sure!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to froggy81500 again."

Thanks Froggy very useful info. I am so pleased with the results from the seafoam. The car just floats now.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I tried it on mine like I mentioned and didn't really feel a difference. I don't know if it was because I only fed most of the can to one side using the c/c line, or if it was because it only sat for 5 minutes before I restarted it. It didn't smoke a whole lot on my trep, unlike my wife's Sebring (which we got rid of in January) that smoked a lot. I just figured my trep didn't smoke much and didn't feel much different because its been running fairly clean anyway. Dunno. I may give it another try when I'm getting due for my next oil change in about 2 months.

Thanks for trying to rep me again. I was gonna give you one back for trying but I got the same message! Enjoy the car, and take care of it so you can enjoy it longer!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Yeah, Andrew (Hardwareguy) told me about the spray stuff, but cannot locate it---ANDREW!!!!!!!! WHERE DO I GO HERE IN TOWN???????? (yes I know caps are on)

ShadowWolf...do you mind if I add this thread into my thread dedicated to seafoam (and its other products)...will be a link of course.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I saw the spray stuff today when i was buying my normal liquid seafoam, but it didnt say that it did the same things on the can, and it had different instructions on where to spray it, so i was scared and just got the liquid!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
silver&gold said:
Yeah, Andrew (Hardwareguy) told me about the spray stuff, but cannot locate it---ANDREW!!!!!!!! WHERE DO I GO HERE IN TOWN???????? (yes I know caps are on)

ShadowWolf...do you mind if I add this thread into my thread dedicated to seafoam (and its other products)...will be a link of course.
I don't mind at all man. I got mine at Autozone for like 6 bucks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Badasstrep said:
I saw the spray stuff today when i was buying my normal liquid seafoam, but it didnt say that it did the same things on the can, and it had different instructions on where to spray it, so i was scared and just got the liquid!
Ummmm I swear that I saw it said on the can that it is the same stuff just in spray form. I think I got the can laying around somewhere, I'll check it out.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Just check the Seafoam website for info on the producdt. I went there right after reading ShadowWolf's post about the spray because I had questions on what it was for. I've seen Deep Creep in Autozone before, not sure if Advance or Pep Boys have it or not. but Advance (Parts America) has it online so I imagine they got it in the store too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts