DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think that with all of the people who have used or continue to use Seafoam know how well it works. There are a few people who have had a bad experience with it, but like any product that is made, somebody has had no luck with it. Basically I figured with alot of the newer people to the sight seem to encounter something with their engines and the most typical response is "try Seafoam"

So I figured I would make a thread dedicated to Seafoam.

"SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT
Consumer Information

Solving Engine Problems Easily and Inexpensively!

See SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT technical information

Common Reasons Service Technicians Use SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT

When your vehicle has a rough idle, hesitates, stalls, pings or has an after run problem – this is often due to carbon buildup.

Your service technician can offer a reasonably priced fuel systems cleaning with the use of SEA FOAM products to solve these carbon problems.

When your vehicle’s fuel injectors need cleaning – this is often due to residue left on injectors from poor burning fuels and contaminants.

Your service technician can offer an inline fuel injection cleaning with the use of an injector cleaning machine and SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT. SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT is also added to the fuel to disperse moisture, clean fuel lines and injectors while driving.

When moisture needs to be removed from fuels or an anti gel or de-icer is needed – these conditions are due to condensation in the fuel tank and extreme cold weather creating gas line freeze or diesel fuel gelling.

Your service technician can recommend the use of SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT in the fuel tanks to dry moisture and cure these problems.

When there is moisture detected in the oil – this problem is due mostly to poor ventilation and condensation. Sometimes, however, there is a bad head gasket, cracked head or block that must be replaced.

Your service technician will diagnose the problem and recommend the repairs. As part of the diagnostics, a SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT can be used in the oil crankcase to cure the moisture problems. A SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT can also be used in the oil crankcase after repairs to make sure moisture is eliminated.

When valve lifter noise is apparent or piston rings seem to be sticking – this is often due to dirty and gummed up oil passages, varnished lifters and buildup of gum, varnish and carbon in the piston ring areas.

Your service technician can offer a SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT that will clean sticky lifters and free sticky rings. By doing this treatment you will be able to determine if there is a varnish problem or a mechanical problem.

To help pass emissions tests – high emission numbers are usually caused by extreme carbon build up, dirty emission control items such as: pcv valve, egr valve, oxygen sensors or bad spark plugs and wires.

Your service technician can provide a pre-emission test service that includes SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT as a cleaning agent to help pass emissions tests.

When fuel stabilization and engine fogging is needed – fuels of today become stale in less than thirty days. Therefore, stabilization and engine fogging are needed when vehicles, lawnmowers, snow blowers, outboard motors, chainsaws, motorcycles, gas in cans and engines are put into storage.

Your service technician can provide fuel stabilization and engine fogging services with SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT."

SEAFOAM MOTOR TREATMENT

"100% Pure Petroleum
Use in All Engines in All Seasons
2 Cycle, 4 Cycle, and Diesels
Treats 3 Critical Areas: Gas Tank, Fuel Systems, and Crankcase

Cleans fuel injectors
Cleans carburetor jets
Cleans carbon
Stabilizes fuels
Upper cylinder lube
Removes moisture in fuel
De-icer
Frees sticky lifters
Frees sticky rings
Removes moisture in oil
Cleans P.C.V. systems
Cleans catalytic converter odors
Oxygen sensor safe

How Many Mechanics Use SEA FOAM
In Tune-Up of 4 Cycle Gasoline Carbureted or Fuel Injected Engines
Autos, Trucks, and Tractors
With engine warm, slowly pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint through carburetor or throttle body throat. (If vehicle is port injected slowly pour SEA FOAM through direct manifold vacuum line that will feed all cylinders, possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line.) This will pull SEA FOAM down on top of the pistons and to the back of the intake valves to dissolve carbon. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. If severe carbon build up is apparent, use more Sea Foam as previously directed. Make sure exhaust is well ventilated when using Sea Foam in these various ways as fumes will be extreme for a short time.
Pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint into oil crank case to clean rings, lifters, dirty parts and remove moisture.
Pour 1/3 to 1 full pint into fuel tank to clean injectors, carburetor jets, fuel lines and remove moisture.
Immediate Results: Smoother idle, increased R.P.M.'s better throttle response and improved performance. See label on can for detailed results for use in each area.
FUEL TANK, CARBURETOR, INJECTION and OIL CRANKCASE.

For Peak Performance, Use SEA FOAM Every 2,000 to 5,000 Miles

A 100% pure petroleum product for use in all gasoline and diesel type engines, both 2 and 4 cycle. OXYGEN SENSOR SAFE.
Cleans dirty engine parts internally by removing harmful gums, varnish and carbon. WORKS AND PERFORMS INSTANTLY.
Removes moisture from oil crankcases and fuel tanks.
Stabilizes and conditions fuels. Use for engine storage.
Cure hesitations, stalls, pings and rough idle due to carbon buildup.
Helps pass emissions test. EPA Registered.
When Used Thru Injection or Carburetor

Cleans carbon build up
Cleans intake valves and pistons
Gives smoother idle
Cleans catalytic converter odors
Cures hesitations and pings
Restores power and pickup
With warm engine running, SLOWLY poor 1/2 pint through carburator, throttle body or direct manifold vacuum line that will feed ALL CYLINDERS. Possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. Be sure exhaust is well ventilated. Fumes will be extreme for a short period of time.
For use in injector cleaning machines, use 50% SEA FOAM and 50% fuel.
Fill diesel filters with SEA FOAM to clean injectors fast.
When Added to Crankcase (Oil)

Frees sticky lifters and rings
Increases R.P.M.'s vacuum and compression
Cleans dirty parts
Removes moisture
Cleans PCV valve systems

One pint treats 10 quarts of oil (avg. 1 1/2 ounce per quart).

When Added to Fuel Tank
Cleans fuel injectors and carburetor jets
Cleans carbon as you drive
Lubricates upper cylinders
De-ices and removes moisture
Diesel full conditioner and anti gel
Stabilizes fuel
One pint treats 8-25 gallons of fuel (average 1 ounce per gallon).

In Injector Cleaning Machines

Add a 50/50 blend of fuel and SEA FOAM into injector cleaning machine. Run directly through the fuel rails to clean injectors fast. Add SEA FOAM to your fuel tank to clean injectors as you drive. "

You can also download an MSDS (material safty data sheet) if you are at a place of business that requires one, or for your own well being.

MSDS MOTOR TREATMENT

SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT for Diesel and Small Engines

Diesel Applications
Excellence in Performance
Cleans injectors
Adds lubricity
Anti-gel
Cleans crankcase
Restores power
Removes moisture
Cleans carbon
Stabilizes fuel
Diesel fuel conditioner

How to Use SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT
In Tune-Up of Diesel Engines

Fill primary fuel filter with SEA FOAM. Be sure filter is fully primed to prevent air locks. This will clean injectors quickly.
Use 1 pint of SEA FOAM to every 25 gallons of diesel fuel to add lubricity, clean fuel lines, injector pump and remove moisture.
Use 1 pint of SEA FOAM to every 4 gallons of oil to clean rings and other engine parts internally. For best results, use SEA FOAM for 1 hour before oil change. Results in cleaner engines and longer oil change intervals.

When Added to Diesel Fuel Tank

Cleans fuel injectors
De-ices and removes moisture
Cleans carbon as you drive
Diesel fuel conditioner and anti-gel
Lubricates upper cylinders
Stabilizes fuel
Adds lubricity
One pint treats 25 gallons of fuel.

For Anti-Gel and De-Icer

Use 1 pint in fuel tank to 25 gallons of diesel fuel to dry moisture and prevent gelling.
Sea Foam will degel gelled fuel. Start with one pint to 25 gallons of gelled fuel. More will be needed in extreme cold weather.
If filters are gelled, change them and fill them with SEA FOAM.
Small Engine Applications
Works and Performs Instantly

Stabilizes fuel
Cleans carburetor
Cleans carbon
Removes moisture
Assures fast starts
Frees sticky rings
Restores power
Upper cylinder lube
Smooths rough idle
How to Use SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT
In Tune-Up of Small 4 Cycle Carbureted Engine Lawn Mowers, Tillers, Edgers, Snowblowers, etc.

Start engine. If engine will not start, check spark and compression. If engine has spark and compression, pour a small amount up to 1/2 ounce into the carburetor throat. SEA FOAM will act as starting fulid and will start the engine unless there is a mechanical or electrical problem. With engine warm, keep on high idle and slowly pour one ounce through carburetor throat. Make sure exhaust is well ventilated when using in the carburetor as fumes will be extreme for a short time.
Pour 1/2 ounce to one ounce into small fuel tank and oil crackcase.
Immediate Results: Smoother idle, Increased R.P.M.'s, Better Throttle Response and Improved Performance.
NOTE: One pint treats 8-25 gallons of gas (average one ounce per gallon) or 6-12 gallons of gas oil mix (average 2 ounces per gallon.) Does not replace oil. Use frequently.
For Small 2-Cycle Engines
Use procedure 1 of tune-up of small 4 cycle carbureted engines.
Pour 1/2 to 1 ounce into small fuel tank.
See label on can for exact detailed results for use in each area Fuel Tank-Carburetor.
NOTE: SEA FOAM does not replace 2 cycle oil. One pint treats 8-25 gallons of gas (average one ounce per gallon) or 6-12 gallons of gas oil mix (average 2 ounces per gallon.) Does not replace oil. Use frequently.
For Engine Storage
For storage, the engine should be thoroughly saturated internally with Sea Foam. Sea Foam can be injected internally through the spark plug holes or through the carburetor with ignition off.
For Fuel Stabilization
Use 1 pint to 25 gallons or (average of 1 ounce per gallon) to stabilize and condition fuels. One pint stabilizes 25 gallons of regular, unleaded and diesel fuels.
Use 1 pint to stabilize 6-12 gallons of 2 cycle (gas-oil mix) fuels (average 2 ounce per gallon). "

I personally have never used this product...but I think I'm going to give it go.

SEA FOAM TRANS-TUNE

Solving Problems in Automatic Transmissions, Power Steering Units, and Hydraulic Systems Inexpensively

See TRANS-TUNE technical information

Common Reasons Service Technicians Use SEA FOAM TRANS-TUNE

When transmission fluid is dirty – this is caused by normal use over a specified period of time.

Your service technician can offer a filter, fluid and cleaning service or a transmission flush and cleaning service using SEA FOAM TRANS-TUNE as a cleaning agent to maintain top performance and extend the life of your transmission.

When erratic shifting, rough shifting or slow shifting occurs in the automatic transmission – this is often caused by contamination if changing the fluid and filter is not done on a regular basis. Dirty fluid or gum and varnish buildup can also cause these problems.

Your service technician can offer a SEA FOAM TRANS-TUNE treatment and a fluid and filter change or a transmission flush to restore smooth and proper performance providing there are no mechanical problems.

For preventative maintenance in automatic transmissions – this is done when the customer wants assurance of smooth and proper performance before problems occur.

Your service technician can offer a SEA FOAM TRANS-TUNE treatment that will help prevent automatic transmission problems. This treatment will remove harmful gum, varnish and moisture deposits from valve bodies, governors and other internal parts.

When power steering fluid is dirty & turns gray, black or brown – this is caused by normal use over a specified period of time.

Your service technician can offer a power steering flush using SEA FOAM TRANS-TUNE as preventative maintenance that will extend power steering & rack and pinion life by cleaning the system.

When a power steering system or power steering pump must be flushed before installing a new rack and pinion or power steering pump and to maintain the warranty on the new rack or pump – this is caused by a worn out rack and pinion system or power steering pump that must be replaced.

Your service technician can provide a SEA FOAM TRANS-TUNE power steering flush that cleans the power steering pump, hoses and complete system before installing a new rack and pinion or power steering pump. This flush will insure the manufacturer’s warranty and extend the life of the power steering pump and new rack & pinion.

When hydraulic systems and hydrostatic transmissions have moisture problems – this is caused mostly by condensation.

Your service technician can provide a SEA FOAM TRANS-TUNE treatment that will remove the moisture problem without changing or loosing the existing oil. "

Automatic Transmission and Power Steering Tune-Up Formula
Cleans gum & varnish
Smooths rough and erratic shifting
Maintains smooth operation
Auto-transmission flush
Power steering and rack and pinion flush
Cleans and dries hydraulics

Works and Performs Instantly
Conditioner that is not a stop leak
Cleans sticky valve bodies and governors
Use to flush power steering and rack and pinion units
Safe, fast, and reliable

A 100% pure petroleum product. SEA FOAM TRANS-TUNE is a conditioner that is not a stop leak and is entirely compatible with all automatic transmission, power steering and hydraulic units.

When to Use SEA FOAM TRANS-TUNE

For peak performance use SEA FOAM TRANS-TUNE as directed when changing transmission fluid as preventive maintenance and to keep parts clean and maintain proper performance.
When erratic shifting is experienced, add 1/2 pint as directed to restore smooth performance. Do not overfill. Fluid can be changed at regular service basis.
When flushing is required prior to installing a new rack and pinion, use TRANS-TUNE as directed.
Results Used in Automatic Transmission
Smooths rough shifting, skip shifting, and slow shifting.
Removes harmful gum, varnish and moisture deposits from valve bodies, governors and other internal parts.
For Use in Automatic Transmissions
With transmission at operating temperature, check the fluid level. Add 1/2 to 1 pint TRANS-TUNE to the transmission fluid. This normally will not overfill the fluid level, however, the fluid level should never exceed the manufacturers recommended level.
For best results use 1/2 to 1 pint TRANS-TUNE in the transmission fluid prior to a transmission flush or fluid and filter change. Drive at least five miles shifting into all gears. If you are not able to drive the vehicle, shift into all gears for about 3 minutes with the brake or parking brake applied. This will allow TRANS-TUNE to clean transmission valves and parts in each area. When additional cleaning is necessary add 1/2 pint of TRANS-TUNE to the transmission fluid and change the transmission fluid on a regular service basis.
A PROPERLY MAINTAINED AND CLEAN TRANSMISSION WILL RESULT IN SMOOTHER OPERATION AND LONGER LIFE!
Results of Power Steering Flush

Prolongs power steering and rack and pinion life.
Thoroughly cleans power steering system before installation of new rack and pinions and Power Steering Pumps.
For Use in Power Steering Units
If rack and pinion or power steering pump replacement is necessary, be sure system is flushed before installing new rack or flush for preventive
maintenance.
To flush the power steering unit, drain power steering pump reservoir and fill the reservoir with 1/2 pint of TRANS-TUNE. Run engine to pump fluid through system for 15 to 30 minutes, turning the steering wheel from lock to lock every 5 minutes. This will dissolve varnish and suspend contaminants into the fluid. Stop engine and drain fluid from reservoir placing the return line in drain pan. Cap reservoir. Disable ignition. Turn engine off with starter and run 1 1/2 pints of TRANS-TUNE through power steering reservoir to flush system of all contamination. Then flush system with power steering fluid.
After flush is completed refill reservoir with new power steering fluid.
A properly maintained transmission and power steering unit results in smoother operation and longer transmission and steering unit life.

For Use in Hydraulics

Add 1 pint of TRANS-TUNE to every four gallons of hydraulic fluid, to dry moisture and clean varnish from valves. For best results, use prior to changing hydraulic fluid.
When additional cleaning is necessary add 1 pint of TRANS-TUNE to every 8 gallons hydraulic fluid and change hydraulic fluid on a regular service basis. "

There again you have the option to download an MSDS for your well being.

MSDS TRANS TUNE

They do have other products availible from Seafoam. They include:
*Seafoam Motor Treatment
*Seafoam Trans-Tune
*Seafoam Bug-B-Gone
*Seafoam Deep Creep

You can of course view the sight directly following this link: Seafoam

And you can contact them at the following addresses and phone numbers:

Sea Foam Sales Company
P.O. Box 5178
Hopkins, MN 55343-1178
[email protected]

Phone (952) 938-4811
Fax (952) 938-5841

I am in no way affiliated with Seafoam or their products, but mearly a consumer who has been happy with the outcome of the products they make.

I hope that this will help other members on the sight with all of their Seafoam questions.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
here's my personal experience, before ever using Seafoam my wife's Explorer 5.0 would occasionally ping under hard acceleration, it was checked many times under warranty and would do it no matter what octane we were running, was never harmful or consistent so we just lived with it

now since I started running one can of Seafoam (half through vac line, half in tank) about every six months I have never heard any ping at all

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
So how do you get it in the vacum line? sorry, im not too good with engines, i really dont know what half of the things under the hood are! So i saw the pic of the 2.7 engine you took in another thread, but how do you get it in that line?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Maverick9110E said:
ya know, i prob should clean all the carbon out with 176,000 miles now.
Be careful about cleaning "all that carbon" with 176k! That carbon may be keeping your engine from burning oil!! If you're concerned about carbon that much, take it up on the interstate for a high speed blast to burn out the upper cyl carbon. Remember.....If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Badasstrep said:
So how do you get it in the vacum line? sorry, im not too good with engines, i really dont know what half of the things under the hood are! So i saw the pic of the 2.7 engine you took in another thread, but how do you get it in that line?
It is great to see that somebody actually reads my posts! :tongue: What I did was I went to autozone and bought me a tube that will fit over the nipple of the vacumme port (see pic I posted in the other thread) With the engine on idle I slowly suck the seafoam into it. You might stall the engine once or twice untill you get it to where it will not stall....thats what I do. You really do not want to get too much into it at once.....hydrolock might be a *****. Slowly injest the seafoam....let he engine suck it up and once it starts to bog down....let off. Then do it again. Try to at least get a 1/2 bottle in the port(vacumme line)

I am working 12's starting in the AM....but I need to get the seafoam into my car ASAP.....once I do it I will try to get pics for the 2.7 guys who are unclear how to do what.

·
Registered
109 Posts
what about my 1stgen 3.5L?.. where is this vacuum port?

·
Registered
109 Posts
bump

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For you 1st gen guys....I know nothing about 1st gen engines. It is my assumption that you can injest seafoam into ANY vacumme port. Pull a line off while the engine is running and feel for suction. If you get suction...use it. Put the seafoam into your gas it will work that way also. Hopefully.......HOPEFULLY a first genner will post a pic of the engine and point out what to use. Sorry I can't be of much more help in that department.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
first gen 3.5, jsut suck it up through the pcv valve, the hose connected to the plenium, jsut at the rear of the black cover that says "3.5L"

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
ok so pull hte hose off of the pcv valve and put it in the pcv? or run it rhrough the hose to the pcv?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
pull the hose off, and put a cap-ful in every coupld seconds with the engine running, should egt sucked right in

·
Registered
711 Posts
PCV valve? whats that/where is it? anyone got a pic?
I baught 2 cans of this, and after using some in the gas tank, i can tell u UNBELIEVABLE difference... better gas milage too...

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
not sure where it is on the 3.3

·
Registered
82 Posts
My dogde neon is fairly new. I just purchased it last may. Anyway, I was reading about your experience with the product and I was wondering when you should use such a product? Thanks:)

·
Registered
228 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As I said...I would take pics of the 2.7 seafoam job and put pics up for those who are confused.
This is preperation...

The inlet I use is directly above the T/B

I always put a "feeder tube" on the inlet to make the job easier...

After I have sucked in the seafoam...I let the car sit for about 20 minutes...turn it on and watch the show.

My car needed it bad...the smoke went on for about 20 minutes (-;

Hope that helps those of you with the 2.7 who needed help.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts