DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seafoamed my 2.7 last weekend and the smoke show was amzing but now my engine slowly drops to about 300 RPM after I come to a stop and today it actually died at the light. There appear to be a multitude of possibilities why my car is idling low and stalling. I get no codes at all. Anybody ever experience something like this after using seafoam? I am not sure where to start. I think I'll clean the IAC valve cause it probably needs it anyways, but any advice or experienced would be appreciated.

Also, just want to make sure this is the IAC valve. From what I've read, the bolts can easily break. Plus, It looks like a pain to access the second bolt underneath. I am worried about being able to get the bolt back in after I clean the valve. Thanx.

·
Registered
498 Posts
My cars started doing the same thing after I ran seafoam and I haven't been able to spot the problem. It wasn't the IAC, throttle body or spark plugs however.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,310 Posts
Might want to check with the Seafoam experts that swear by the stuff. I'll pass on the SF stuff for now.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Thats weird. I have never had any problems with the stuff. No codes either huh? did you try cycling for codes in both park and neutral? Where did you injest the seafoam? Got any updates as to whether or not your car is doing better?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
How long did you let the car sit for after stalling it out with the seafoam? You may have diluted your oil. I don't think it'll cause a stalling issue but its not a good situation to drive a car with. Depending on where you ingested the seafoam thru, I don't see how it would have affected the IAC. If you used a vacuum line to suck up the seafoam, did you remember to reconnect it? An unhooked vacuum line, depending on how big it is, will stall out an engine.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
When I cleaned out our '96 I just disconnected the main air intake and sprayed it through there. At idle, all the stuff goes through the IAC first before even getting to the intake. OK, so a small amount of "dirt" got into the system because the filter was off but that can't compare to all the carbon and oil that broke loose in the process so I don't think that's a big deal - and the IAC is clean ...!

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
D76G12 said:
When I cleaned out our '96 I just disconnected the main air intake and sprayed it through there. At idle, all the stuff goes through the IAC first before even getting to the intake. OK, so a small amount of "dirt" got into the system because the filter was off but that can't compare to all the carbon and oil that broke loose in the process so I don't think that's a big deal - and the IAC is clean ...!
My thoughts exactly. Most of the air is regulated thru the IAC, the throttle plate is only slightly open. The minimum idle is preset at the facdtory usually. I haven't taken too close a look at the TB on this car, but on many others, there's usually a metal plug over the throttle stop screw. Nowadays, with as finely tuned and completely computer controlled, that might not be the case anymore. But yeah seafoam going right thru the TB should clean things up, not make it worse. Which is why I (and it soulnds like you agree) that looking at the IAC is a waste of time.

A few things to know would be what year and mileage on this bad boy?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wow that really sucks man. Make sure whatever hose you disconnected isn't cracked or has a hole in it from manipulating it off to put the seafoam in. After the seafoam did you let it sit for like 10 min then start it up and let it idle for 3 min. After that drive it hard and open up the throttle......that's what worked for me because it was driving like crap at first and the CEL came on. After I gunned it a few times it was running like butter.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I ran it through the pcv hose. I've had this problem for months and my mechanic hasn't been able to figure it. I'm changing a few things out tommorow. Will let you guys know.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a 99 2.7 with 63,000 miles. I am getting no codes. I actually seafoamed it two weeks ago, it has been idling low ever since but it actually just stalled yesterday. I put most of the can through the vacuum line as silver&gold recommended, I put the rest through the pcv valve. I never turned the car off, I just let it run. I don't think it would have diluted my oil. So if my IAC is clean, what should I do?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
This is a scary story as I just seafoamed my 96 3.5L yesterday! I only used a 1/3 of a can like the can recommends and so far so good, it seems to running better than ever.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
speals said:
It's a 99 2.7 with 63,000 miles. I am getting no codes. I actually seafoamed it two weeks ago, it has been idling low ever since but it actually just stalled yesterday. I put most of the can through the vacuum line as silver&gold recommended, I put the rest through the pcv valve. I never turned the car off, I just let it run. I don't think it would have diluted my oil. So if my IAC is clean, what should I do?
Just do NOT hold me responsible if the seafoam did something to your car. My recommendations as per my write up were recommended by someone else...I just wrote them up. You could call seafoam and ask them what might have happened...and at the same time I could just be a coinsidence. I personally believe that if you seafoamed it 2 weeks ago, it would/should have evap'ed or burned out by now. What are some other things that would make a car stall? I know you said your not getting codes so it would be hard to determine as to what is really happening. I know advanced auto (here anyways) will scan your car for free to see what codes your getting...maybe try them. You didn't hit limp mode did you? When my wifes car did it stalled out and died a few times. And to be 100% honest, I seafoamed her car a day or two before hand. Good luck, we will keep trying to help find a solution.

·
Registered
467 Posts
which is why I continue to clean the motor with ethanol injection...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
silver&gold,

I put no blame on you at all, I really appreciate your seafoam thread. I do not regret using the seafoam, I look forward to using again as my car is running smoother as a whole and it was really fun! I'm really hoping it was a coincidence. She never went into limp mode. I need to find a place to check my codes, as we don't have advanced auto here in Arizona. Thanx.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just took it to Autozone and they ran a diagnostic on it and got no errors. When I was driving it over there just now, I noticed that about half the time I came to a complete stop, it idled just fine at about 700, nice and smooth, the other half it would gradually drop to around 400-500 and idle rougher. It's very inconsistent. Is seems some part still needs to be cleaned out or just replaced, be it fuel or air related, I don't know. Could it be the fuel pump maybe?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Have you taken it for a nice highway cruise? Take it out and give it a nice drive, say to the next town or city near you where you can get it up to 60 or so and let it cruise along.

·
Registered
689 Posts
what you shouldhave done after SeaFoaming her was to take it out on the highway and jump on it to clean out the remaniing Sae Foam in the intake, the 2.7 has the active intake, meaning it has 2 chambers and some of the Sea Foam could have "puddled" in there, jumping on it and running it up to the red line helps to clear it all out.
Tom

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Actually, the 3.5 has the active intake, not the 2.7

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Does your oil light come on? I remember my idle would drop to about 300 when I was having issues with my oil sending unit. My light would come on and flicker...I had to look at the right moment to even notice it.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
silver&gold said:
Does your oil light come on? I remember my idle would drop to about 300 when I was having issues with my oil sending unit. My light would come on and flicker...I had to look at the right moment to even notice it.
I don't think the low idle and oil light are connected other than a flickering oil light because of low oil pressure with an idle that low. If you were thinking the leaking oil switch was the cause of the low idle, I don't see how. Really all the thing is, is a diaphram, spring and electrical contacts. When they leak (and they do leak), they leak internally and cause the flicker, but would have no affect on idle. Idle on the other hand could cause the oil light to come on. As the engine speed gets lower and lower, so does the oil pressure.

I'm not sure what affect the Seafoam could have had to cause the car to start stalling. And with no codes coming up, it doesn't help track down the problem. I still think a nice highway run after running the seafoam should have been done to flush everything out.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts