DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about the Second Gen Resonator, it's just an empty plastic air bypass box. At first I thought it may be dampered with foam or something to help silence noise.

I have been told that it's actually there for the engine to pull reserve air or something. Perhaps provides a pocket of air when starting the vehicle? I have heard of a lot of people capping this off. I am assuming that this might not be a good idea especially if using a restrictive air filter. If you use a K&N filter or Inake I assume it would be OK since this would allow greater airflow to offset the loss.

Is this wrong......?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I guess it is possible, but it would only make a difference if your old paper element was flowing only a small portion of air, in which case you probably wouldn't be able to keep the engine running at all. The resonator changes the wave form of the air (sound) to counterbalance the sound of the air being drawn into the TB. Put your mouth over the edge of the resonator (assuming it is out of the car) and blow. This is similar to the sound you would hear if Hee-Haw was still on the air and you heard someone playing the "Jug". Not much sound, but it changes the tone of the music (if you want to call the sounds on Hee-Haw music). Until I get all the parts for my L Intake, I've taken off the airbox and resonator, put on a stainless steel highflow cone filter, sealed the resonator hole with duct tape, and wrapped the stock tube (and duct tape) with header wrap. It does sound more aggressive, adn the trottle response is better. The trottle response at 30+ mph is outstanding. I guess the air coming in from the battery access door is acting like a mini ram air. Of course all this will change when I get the parts, maybe make a Ram-air box, move the battery to the trunk and put in 24lb injectors . But I digress, the amount of air in the resonator won't provide enough combustable material to make a difference, and once the engine has gone thru one rotation, that air is long gone. Of course I work with Doctors and not mechanics so I could be hopelessly wrong (but wait I'm a "nobody" and "nobody's perfect" hahaha).

Dave

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
personally i think you guys are reading way too much into this. it just deadens sound.

·
Registered
973 Posts
97 sport has it, I think. There is no reason for a "reserve" of air. The resonator is called a resonator because it deadens the intake sound.

·
Registered
457 Posts

Well I heard that that resonator box actually traps 20HP!

thats right 20HP

by removing it and adding an L-intake or a K&N air charger you can release that 20HP so that your engine can use it.

Next time you pop yer hood take the box out and look inside

What you'll see is 20HP inside

I sure wish you guys would stop doubting me

·
Registered
152 Posts
I decided to take out my resonator box today. I plugged the hole with a foam squeezie mini football temporarily....worked great by the way <smirk>. I took the car out for a spin and didn't really notice a difference in sound or performance. Maybe a slight sound difference but I think it sounds better with the box in. I took my mini football out and threw the resonator back in. ...Oh and as far a 'reserve air' goes....that's a bunch of hooey! There is probably more air in the hose than in that box!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts