DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if you can password protect a folder in windows xp? I would like to make it so that the only way to get into the "My Pictures" folder is to type the password. I found a way to make it say "Access Denied", but I can just go right back and give myself access again.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Well, not sure about that, but I can tell you that on my computer, some of the folders that I don't want my kids to mess with are 'hidden'.... then I turn on the option to NOT show hidden folders and files, unless I work with them, once done, the option is changed again to not display them..... don't think the kids have that one figured out (yet)...

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
if u have xp pro, you can encrypt them, so that only you have "access" to them, they might be able to see the files (the icons) but unable to see into the files without your username and password

·
Registered
331 Posts
if u have xp pro, you can encrypt them, so that only you have "access" to them, they might be able to see the files (the icons) but unable to see into the files without your username and password
Just to add to this, your drive would need to be formatted as NTFS, as the encryption is not supported with FAT32. Any system you buy through the "retail" chain (Dell, HP, etc.) will (or should) come formatted as NTFS. Sometimes people that build their own systems, or install their own OSs, use FAT32 for compatibility reasons. In this case, you wouldn't be able to encrypt without converting the drive to NTFS.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Are you logging in as the same user? If you have a separate username it's pretty easy to just set security on the folder (right click on folder -> properties -> security tab) and remove the Allow checkmarks from things like the users/administrators groups, and only leave them enabled for your name. Be sure not to check Deny for any groups that you're a part of though, because Deny automatically overrides Allow...for example if you check Deny for the administrators group, and your user account is an administrator, and you set your personal account to Allow, you would still not be able to access it.

If you're using the same name, you can either encrypt the folder like someone already mentioned, or I'm sure there's tons of 3rd party apps out there that would accomplish the same thing.

edit: Just wanted to add that if you're using separate usernames, and you just set folder permissions, and the other person is an administrator also, they can go in and manually take ownership of the folder and view it that way. Depends how you have your accounts set up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts