DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Linksys Cable/DSL 4-port router (model #NR041) at Compusa and I'm having a probelm setting it up.

I followed the directions (However there is not much said on installing for XP home) on the install but it does not seem to work. The lights on the router are lit to show that I have a DLS conection and that my laptop is hooked up to the box.

Any thoughts:confused:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
joekd said:
what doesnt work?

do you not have connectivity between two pc's or just cannot get onto the internet?

did you reboot your cable modem after cloning MAC address?
At this point I'm only setting up one machine to keep it simple. No, I cannot get on to the internet

Whats a "cloning MAC address"???

Sorry for the rookie questions.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
one of the first stpes after hooking your PC into the router is to either "clone" the MAC address or fill in the info manually

this allows the router to disguise itself as your PC so that the connection can be shared and is firewall protected

·
Registered
504 Posts
If your ISP gave you a computer name, then you have to give your router that same name.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Does the router get a IP/Gateway/DNS from your cable modem?
Release/Renew if need be. If it starts with 168.0.?.? you have a problem. You may have to give your cable modem provider the mac address of your router.

Share your drives, make sure your all on the same workgroup. This will tell you if the switch portion of the router is working.

You can either let your system use DHCP to obtain an IP address or run static. You only need to do static if you want to remote control the systems, do some port forwarding, blada, blada bla.

Loose the Home Edition.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Just to let you know, us techs at Road Runner do not discourage the use of Routers :)

It's always best, when setting up any kind of different connection, whether it be through a hub/switch/router or straight from/to one computer or to another, you need to power cycle the computer so that the servers will be aware of the change and what not.

Unplug the power for the cable modem from the wall, wait a minute and a half minimum, then plug the power back in.

Should pick up on all settings and interface with the router properly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts