DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, she was a fun car while I had her and I am glad I got to drive her as long as I did. But all good things must come to an end, right?

This is how she looked before the accident.

Yesterday, at 1:30pm, I lost control on the Sultan Basin road between mile post 8 and 9. The car fish tailed three times before she went sideways into the embankment. The responding officer told me that I was probably going about 45mph when I hit the embankment. Luckily, all I got was some whiplash and a sore knee.

This is the scene of the accident. If you look closely, you will see four tire tracks leading to the impact.

As for the car, she is totaled. The front end shifted about 1 foot to the left and about 6 inches to the back. The electronic system is fried as well.

Here she is, sitting in the towing company lot. For some reason, she still looks good.

It was fun while it lasted but it all good things must come to an end.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Well **** happens. You're still mobile so thats the important thing.

·
Registered
8,460 Posts
based on the way the crash looks. it may have broken the PCM. the crash also looks like the Engine may be salvageable. but idkf for sure on either one of those. if you can get some under the hood pics and maybe we can get the car back on the road for ya

·
Registered
550 Posts
Damn, that was one nice Trep. Glad your ok.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I unfortunately speak from experience here.....this car will never be on the road again unless you fancy rebuilding unit bodies. I scrapped my Intrepid with less damage. With that said, get out the chop saw and torch and salvage what you can. The engine may be OK.....mine was fine save for a cracked PS pump pulley.

There is a large wiring harness that runs under the front fender......that has likely been severed.

Again...Ralph Nader can kiss my ass when he disses the LH platform on safety concerns. These platforms rock!

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
guess I'll ask. How did ya lose control? And I'm GLAD your ok to bud.
I wasn't going to ask, specially after reading he hit the ditch around 45 after fish tailing three times............And it takes alot to make these cars fish tail if you have any decent tread on your tires and atleast half a tank, however, high speeds and turning and hitting your brakes will make the car become highly unstable. I learned that on Road Atlanta.

However, this does show how well these cars take a hit. First Gen and Second Gens seem to do the job of protecting the people extremely well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wasn't going to ask, specially after reading he hit the ditch around 45 after fish tailing three times............And it takes alot to make these cars fish tail if you have any decent tread on your tires and atleast half a tank, however, high speeds and turning and hitting your brakes will make the car become highly unstable. I learned that on Road Atlanta.

However, this does show how well these cars take a hit. First Gen and Second Gens seem to do the job of protecting the people extremely well.
It does take a lot to get them to break loose. But, when you mix in the loose gravel from Tar & Chip paving that happened 2 days before, you got yourself a recipe for some "fun". the back started to get away from me while entering a corner with a little bit of braking. After that, she never got straight again. I remember thinking :poopoo: right before the impact.

And I agree, these cars can take a hell of an impact and still protect its passengers, since all I got was a really sore neck and a sore left leg. I really do hope I can get another one of these fabulous machines again, they are just a blast to drive.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
It does take a lot to get them to break loose. But, when you mix in the loose gravel from Tar & Chip paving that happened 2 days before, you got yourself a recipe for some "fun". the back started to get away from me while entering a corner with a little bit of braking. After that, she never got straight again. I remember thinking :poopoo: right before the impact.

And I agree, these cars can take a hell of an impact and still protect its passengers, since all I got was a really sore neck and a sore left leg. I really do hope I can get another one of these fabulous machines again, they are just a blast to drive.

Never, Never, Hit the brakes what so ever when in a hard turn. The upset in weight balances causes the rear to come loose regardless of surface type. The only times My rear end has ever come out at all is because of braking. Understeer is often easier to deal with then oversteer.

I saw the road in the road in the pictures. Def not a road to be playing around on even though it looks nice.

·
Registered
10,378 Posts
I see you are interested in saving the poor car. Depending on exactly how bad the damage actually is, it can be saved and put back into service.

I do advise you if you want to save it, that it will be a long and tedious process and there will be a few speed bumps along the way. I ran into those speed bumps, but they may be different that what you might run into. At least I did have the tools (and where to get the parts) to fix mine and getting it back running.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts