DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed when I go to autostick with my 99, sometimes when I try to shift up or down it gets stuck and is harder to move left and right. I took off the plastic on the top of that section and noticed that the plasctic disks (or whatever they are) that move with the shifter are not sliding over each other smoothly when I go left and right. We tried to add some silicon to the plastic part to lubricate it, but that didn't help much.

I have noticed on the newer Intrepid's, that some have leather around the shifter instead of those plastic sliding things.

What do you think, should I see if the dealer can get me one like that instead?

Hope I didn't confuse you ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a 99 also but it is a base (no auto stick) I can see where the problem is and here is what you do (this is what I did). The ashtray door is spring loaded and I happened to brake the spring putting on a new stereo. When I took it to the dealer to get it fixed they replaced the whole thing woth the new style (with the leather boot) It was under the original warentee so I have no idea how much that piece costs

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I believe it was halfway through the '99 model year cycle they went to the leather style boot...check your build date, it's probably towards the beginning of the year or even in '98.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
mines black leather.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
aren't ya gonna need that whole assembly for the shifter? it's just pops off and u should be able to get another on as long as it fits.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
good luck finding a wrecked intrepid. i've only seen one in a junkyard. people take care of these cars. the ones that don't leave them as lawn ornaments because they're so pretty.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
yeah not too many of them in the junkers, see lotts of Cavalers though. LOL

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I will think about it, but yeah, if you are looking for a boot for the shifter area, go to that 300M site you posted about the badge removing, some guy made a boot for the shifter area, he could prob tell ya how he did it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts