DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok before i go any further, i tried doing a search on " My problem" so here goes.

Went to shift the Trep from park to drive, nada, in fact the shifter went all the way back, yet the car never moved through the gears. I found out after reading that Our shift cables have been known to get water in the long boot area that goes to the bottom attached to the tranny. I ended up going to the dealer (only place to find this cable, imagine that!) Picked it up for like $60, had a hell of a time getting the lower cable off (from the tranny) finally got it , put everything back together, it shifts from P to R to N to D, but when i try to go into autostick, it moves left to right but the lights on the dash do not signify that i am in autostick mode 1 2 3 4. Could it have been the shifter itself that i didnt put back right?? I took off the shifter handle, then the silver plate 4 screws ( i know i didnt have too do that) but i wanted to see what was under that silver plate, I think thats where my problem lies, i did plug in the connector on the back of the silver plate, its not the shifter cable , triple checked it and it shifts fine from P to R to N to D and it drives fine, so nice to shift now that the new cable has been installed, was having a hell of a time getting it into gear like 2 days before it finally quit, any suggestions???

·
Woober Goobers!
50,129 Posts
Tony have you downloaded the service manual from the thread? Page 21-106 talks about having to adjust the cable when it's replaced. It's possible you're just on the edge for adjustment and when you pull the shifter down to the AutoStick position the TRS switch on the transmission hasn't moved fully into position. The electrical connector you talked about is for the upshift/downshift when the TRS switch is in AutoStick. If you don't have the manual I can send you the section on the floor shifter.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ron,

I've got the manual, found that part you mentioned this morning i was up pretty late getting the cable in, so i will try to adjust it today. Thanks for the tip, I;ll let you know what i find!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts