DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My shifter got tight on me when I hit a large bump in the road last year. Now sometimes it doesn't even show that it's in park when I put the shifter all the way up.

Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I know our treps have a problem with rust in the shifter cable....I had mine replaced. It started as a shifter a little hard to get in Park, then wouldnt go into L and within a couple of weeks it seized up and I had to tow the car.... :mad: I'd say get ahead of the problem and try some WD40 in the little pipe where the cable goes, if it's still tight it might be time for another cable....just my 0.02.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sure it's not rust.........since it happened the day I ****ed everything up on my car.

I haven't checked jack ****.......my mechanic said the cable was sticking so he oiled it........but it's become clearly evident that he knows less about my car than I do.

·
Registered
750 Posts
ok time to sound really dumb but i think its the lil nut thingy on the top of the shifter inside that you adjust the play. LOL that didnt make since. when i put my autostick shifter in it would not go into park but when you look down there is a nut on the right side inside the the shifter you loosen it andt hen you can adjust it to work right. i loosened mine then was able to put it in park then tightten it back down and it workes fines. jsut got up so my mind isnt awake on names or replying intelligently :)

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Is it just that it won't go all the way to Park? If so, it may just need to be adjusted. BUT, if it feels like it's binding when you're moving the shifter, then it's most likely your shifter cable. I just replaced mine a couple months ago. Also, check the shifter assembly to make sure it's not tweaked out of shape. Mine had a little twist to it when I pulled the assembly apart. My main problem was that I couldn't get it to move once I shifted down to 1st. The cable was binding down inside the shifter assembly, and when I took it apart, I could see the cable all knarled up. Dealer charges ~$85 for them. It's a pretty simple swap though. Definitely a DIY job! Save some $$ on labor!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.