DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I wanted to start off the line in L and then go to 3 and then to D to get the most power in each gear, should I ease off the gas while shifting, or would it not matter at all? If you had to ease off the gas for each time you shifted, I think it would decrease your acceleration, so just shifting would seem to be the right answer, but I don't want to screw anything up....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just keep your foot in it. No need to let up at all. I do wish they had shift kit for this tranny though. On my first car (monte carlo ss 84) I had put in a 350 turbo tranny with a shift kit and believe me it made a differance. Threw your head back in every gear. Kind of anoying for everyday driving but at 16 and a 350 punched out 40 over with a mild cam and 650 double pumper on top who cared :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would keep my foot in it too. When I am racing, I always keep it to the floor, although I do wonder about our Intrepid transmissions. I usually ease my foot though when shifting for normal driving (autostick). My transmission has always shifted hard at higher rpm's. Harder than usual (as compared to normal driving), but not like a shift kit or anything. I am thinking that the people with the autosticks are more likely to replace engine mounts faster. So far I have been lucky. I did get a second gear scratch once. OK I was on a hill and turning right but I got one. :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
muhaha...try a 1050 cfm Dominator on a 440 with a race cam and headers (stock everything else). that's my 10 second '70 Cuda, my friend :)

I'll get some pics. You all will get a kick outa that car.

As for my Intrepid shifting...I just let it shift normally. I found it shifts more smoothly at higher rpms than lower.

·
Registered
3 Posts
About when do you shift it from L to 3 and from 3 to D in order to get the best acceleration and/or not hurt the engine?
Then, once you've stopped, you just shift it into L and off you go again?

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
This is usually what I do. I'm still trying to work out some of the kinks so it doesn't bog or spin too much on me.

At the red light, shut off traction control and shift to L. Bring revs to 1500-2000rpm. When light goes green, mash pedal. Hopefully you won't bog or spin too much, feather if need be. At around 6000rpm, click to 3, the trans will shift momentarily. Again, race to 6000 and shift.

That is always what I do, and I haven't lost yet.

PS Keep your foot in it the whole time. Its an automatic son, it'll protect itself and shift if you get distracted. (I know from experience.)

[ July 16, 2001: Message edited by: LHSer ]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts