DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately when I drive on a bumpy road ,I hear a rattle coming from under the car (1994 LHS)from both front and back ,I know the tie-rod ends are worn and have a little play in them,but they should not make that kind of rattling noise, could be the shocks and struts?after all the car has over 110.000 km.on it,how can I test the shocks before I go spend money on new ones? I have also seen on other threads that worn sway bar bushings make a rattling noise too.has any one had this problem ?and if so what did you find out? please help.
thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Probably Front sway bar end links and body bushings.

I had the same problem with a '94 New Yorker (98,000 miles). The noise was coming from the front sway bar (very common with these cars). My local mechanic repaired it with a front sway bar kit. This consists of new end links and rubber bushings where the bar attaches to the body. While he was at it he replaced the outer tie rods ends. Now the car is nice and quiet over bumps, the steering has much less play, and the car handles better.

When the struts are worn out the car bounces up and down going over dips in the road, and the suspension may bottom out when you hit big bumps.

Hope this helps.
B.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ,for your reply bolomiester
I replaced the outer tie rod ends and sway bar links with good quality parts (moog problem solver),and now the car runs great ,no more rattling over bumps,the tie rod ends were easy to change but the sway bar links were too rusty so I cut them at the studs .the whole thing took about 3 hours to finish and now I am a happy man again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts