• Get the price WAY down :)

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just today, I saw a first gen trep for sale around where I live. Just for the hell of it, I stopped and took a look at it. Damn, this car is CLEAN.

It is a 1996 white first gen, ES, dont know engine size, beautiful paint, looks garage kept. Almost brand new michelin tires.

Has 51,xxx miles. I called the ph#, and some old lady answered. She did not know crap about the car, and said I would have to talk to her husband later. She wants $5,500. What do you think?? Is this a good deal, depending the car is in good working order? or should I be using some seroius negoation skills?

Give me some input. Thanks:D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
desiva said:
Get a 2000 off Ebay for that price.... then sink another $1K into a good engine for it. ;)
Just checked, no treps under $5K in florida today, thanks anyway.

·
Registered
112 Posts
my 2 cents... five seem high, even super clean. True mileage is low, but --for one, you just don't know what you're getting into with the tranny. You gotta hold some reserve on that regard.
If you feel this is your one... offer 4 or less and wait em out.

·
Registered
995 Posts
you may be able to get a sec gen for the same price, but it will be a base or SE(shitty edition) with the 2.7. I'd go with the 96 ES, odds are its a 3.5L, and being driveing by the older generation or elders, the speedo probley never seen over 70

·
9,861 Posts

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Dont u just love how a lot of people dont post the mileage of some cars, making you inquire about it. Kinda like car dealerships.

--Gorm

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
See if you can take the car out for a test drive and drive it to the local dealership. They can plug in to the ECU and tell you a ton about the car. I think there's a program that even reads the trans functions. They might be able to warn you of future problems. Also have them pull the service record on it, maybe they had all the work done there.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Hell, I paid 6500 for my 96 ES last year and it was well worth it. The old guy most likely took real good care of it. You could probably haggle him down to 4500.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Depends on who you are and what you are after in a car.
I still like our 94 LHS but when we bought it was because we outgrew my reg cab Ram. Now we try to squeeze 2 baby seats and an 8 year old in the back. I find myself wanting bigger. So I wouldn't buy another but I still like them what I originally bought it for.
Another thing is what kind of demands you expect out of a car. I suspect you don't really care about performance since you are interested in that Intrepid and don't know the engine. But if you feel like upgrading from the 3.3 to a 3.5L by all means go make an offer. To me engine is everything. I wouldn't even consider the lesser performance option.
Some cars the engine or year or certain options can make it go from desireable to wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole.

Example, I like 87 Mustangs better than 86's
I like multi port injected Turbo Mopars of the 90's. I hate TBI Mopars of the 90's. Like 98 LS1 Trans Ams, no like LT1's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts