DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 2002 Intrepid SE with only 70k miles on it for $2900 BUT it is a 2.7L and Ive heard/read alot of horror stories about this motor so I'm having a hard time making up my mind on it. Ive had me ES for about 4 years and I love it. I need some advice...

·
Registered
151 Posts
well for those who know me knows i have nothing good to say about the 2.7. But I will say there are people here who quite like it. If you do buy it, i guess the best thing to do first off is a sludge clean and oil change immediately..even if they say it had one... just or your peace of mind. 2.7 need oil changes every 3000kms to be safe..

Known for sludge build up!!!!! Read up some more on the 2.7 before you make a decision.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,841 Posts
Then do a timing chain and water pump swap...70-100K is the time they most commonly fail...2.7s need meticulous maintenance to stay alive...my neighbor has over 300K on one, so its possible.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I love my 2.7. Please read carefully: MY 2.7 I cannot speak for other 2.7

As MidRange noted, some of us love the 2.7 but it requires TLC.

Neglected 2.7 are likely to die before 100,000 miles, and without notice.

Do your research. Read posts about the 2.7
Not all 2.7 will behave the same.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I found a 2002 Intrepid SE with only 70k miles on it for $2900 BUT it is a 2.7L and Ive heard/read alot of horror stories about this motor so I'm having a hard time making up my mind on it. Ive had me ES for about 4 years and I love it. I need some advice...
I wouldnt buy it..... but if you do you would need to have the timing chains changed immediately and change the oil every 2k to 2500 miles.....

Horror stories yes, my cousin had a 2000 base model 2.7 and neglected the engine by never changing the oil, engine dead at 80K miles, she donated the car away..... the timing chains are the issue with this engine..... they must be changed before 100K miles.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts