DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some new front brake pads. For some reason my two fronts are deterriorating at a very uneven level. The front passenger has about 10% left and the drivers side has about 40% roughly left. I am assuming it is because I still haven't replaced my front stabilizer (sway) bar (my suspension sucks)!!

Anyhow, I'm wondering if I should go ceramic. I'm not quite sure what the others are made of/with, but I see kevlar a lot, whatever that is.

If anyone has any experience/knowledge or expertise with pads/rotors please let me know what to do.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
In a word, no.....especially if you're not changing rotors as well. Ceramic can squeal pretty good.

Semi-Metallic

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was wondering because it is metal on metal. However, it says it'll be cooler and whatnot. Any suggestions on what I should get. That kevlar or something? The rotors look great still from an external perspective, I haven't taken the wheel of and looked at the inside part of the rotor that isn't visible but I'm assuming it's still good. That's why I'm only replacing the pads.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
The uneven wear doesn't have anything to do with the stablizer bar. You probably have a sticking caliper slider, clean it up when you change the pads.
Does the car pull to the right when you brake? That would indicate a sticking drivers side caliper slider. More braking being done by the right wheel will cause the car to pull towards the better working caliper. This would also be why you have less pad material on the passenger side. It'll make sense if you think about it.

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK I understand why it's uneven now. I thought about the calipers and was hoping that I didn't need new ones. I guess I'll just have them clean them up and check the seals. So I guess it's anything other that ceramic huh? No specific suggestions for my Trep?

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Wait for warlord to chime in, it just might take a little while.

you don't nessesarily need new calipers, just a good cleaning of the sliders and a dab of high temp grease. Unless they're seized of course. They're not very expensive anyways. You just have to be meticulous when bleeding them after replacement.

Cheers

BJ:anon:

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Great White said:
The uneven wear doesn't have anything to do with the stablizer bar.
BJ
correct. The stabilizer bar shouldn't affect braking other than excessive nose diving. But a bad stabilizer bar will prematurely wear out many other suspension components.

A little bit of pad wear difference is normal. They won't all wear out the same from side to side, and even from outer and inner pad on the same caliper. I've seen inner pads worn a lot more than the outer on the same caliper, and visa versa. And because the front brakes do more of the work than the back, you will see the fronts wear faster.

But if there seems to be a really big difference from side to side, then Great White is correct, it could be the sign of something else going on. A seized or stuck caliper is one possibility. Also air in the line at one of the calipers comes to mind. More serious would be the proportioning valve not allowing equal pressure to both calipers. Pulling to one side during braking will definately alert you that there is a problem.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Ummm.....

Air in the line will give you a spongy brake pedal. I have seen chrysler lines deteriorate internally and cause a partial or complete blockage, unlikely, but possible. Usually brake pads wear faster on the articulated side of the caliper, ie the pad on the piston, this is usually the inside pad.
A 30 percent difference by sides (of the vehicle) indicates a probably sticking caliper slider. The inside pad usually tells the story because, as I mentioned, it's usually the articulated pad.
It's actually not the stabilizer bar but the stabilizer links that wear (ie, the bar connection to the lower control arms) and if the problem is great enough, an increased amount of body roll while cornering is the usual result. There also may be a slight change in spring action as well. The stabilizer contributes somewhat to anti nose dive but the percentage is so small it is almost negligable. The stab bar systems entire purpose in life is to decrease body roll when cornering.

the proportioning valve regulates pressure between the front and rear brakes, but has no effect on the left to right braking action. It would have to be a clog of some sort or decription in the line rather than a failure. If you are refering to the isolation of braking systems provided by the master cylinder, it's divided front and rear not left and right (I'd have to do a little research on the LH platform to say with 100% certainty, right now I can only say 95%)

And now I shall stop before this becomes a comlete thread high jack.

Warlord, we're waiting for your sage advice on braking!

Cheers

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree I'm going to get those checked out. I'll also wait till 'warlord' makes a statement.

I'm looking at some 'Lomandi Premium Kevlarmetallic High performance brake pads' right now. Anyone know if thats a safe bet or not?

·
Registered
299 Posts
i got some ceramic pads for the front....after 2 months...there squeekin like nuts.
also whats my best bet for sound..if i dont want them to make any squeeking noises

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Teamhex2002 said:
i got some ceramic pads for the front....after 2 months...there squeekin like nuts.
also whats my best bet for sound..if i dont want them to make any squeeking noises
just a guess, but you could try a little antisqueal compound onthe backing plates. Should be available at any local auto parts store. Did the ceramic pads have the retainer clips on them? They're usually rivited to the backing pads and clip to the outside of the caliper and inside the piston.
Once again, warlord is probably your best bet for an accurate answer as I have never used ceramic pads. I find semi-metallics suit my usage just fine.

cheers

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I think this "Warlord" person has answered all this before. I could have sworn I read something on that before. :)

The Cliff note version is as such.....
-There are 50 gazillion brake companies out there and each of them have their own friction formulas. Some are crap, some are good. The type of material isn't a good indicator of noise potential. The brand name is a better indicator. Now if you are comparing different materials of the same brand, and you had to make a guess, than a ceramic material would be proned to less noise. Quite frankly I have used both ceramic and semi-met pads from more than one company and have not had any noise issues with any pads I have used.

-If you tow things, do a lot of stop and go (paper delivery route for example), or are extremely hard on the brakes, I would tend to go with a good semi-met pad.

-The inner pad is thicker than the outer pad by design on these cars. Now if you have a large wear difference between passenger side pads and driver side pads, you have a problem. It could be a stuck caliper or a bad proportioning valve. I would lean towards a bad caliper. Easiest thing is to check the guide pins to make sure they move freely. The proportioning valve controls the brake bias between the front and rear brakes, however they are diagonally split. One valve controls front left and rear right, while the other controls the front right and rear left. So are the rear pads unevenly worn?

-I have never heard of "Lomandi Premium Kevlarmetallic High performance brake pads". They would either be a semi-met or a low-met pad. Out of curiousity, where did you see these at?

-"Kevlar" is a marketing term. And actually, so is ceramic. There really is only three types of brake pads out there....NAO, Semi-Met, and Low-Met. NAO has no ferrous metal. Ceramic brake pads are NAO. Semi-Met has 50% or more ferrous metal in it's formula. Low-Met has less than 50% ferrous metal in it's formula. Low-Met is very common and popular in Europe. They are dusty and noisey, but are sweet performers (in general).

Can I go to bed now?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope not yet :). Thanks for the insight. I appreciate it.
And I saw those brake pads here

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
just do what i do, and go to autozone, and buy the lifetime pads.... never have to buy another set again!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts