DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its about that time again, time for me to change my oil. But I was wondering if maybe I should go synthetic this time. I've got a 1996 3.5L, and it has 83,500 miles on it. Would changing to synthetic at this point make a profound difference? Or would I be better off staying with the high end petroleum based oils? And if I do change to synthetic, does anyone have instructions on how to switch over...or link stating how to do so? Thanks for any help.

-Duncan

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well it hard to say if it will make a difference; that depends on how long you plan to keep the car. Up to 100k, no not really. 150k, yes.

As far as the switch over, there is no "secret" or "special" way to do it. Pour old oil out, change filter, put synthetics in. Thats it.

You can if you prefer change the synthetic oil every 3k for the first 3-4 times and then go to a 6k shedule, but once again, that does not make that much of a difference at this point and considering you do not have a 2.7 gunk buildup is not an issue.

The only downside to switching to synthetic is the extra cost. Even the very best natural oils break down far faster than the worst synthetic.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i switched to mobil 1 synthetic at about 82k in my 3.5. no drips, no leaks.

·
Registered
564 Posts
switch immediately a
Amsoil, Redline, or Mobil 1 and some say Royal Purple

1 - 6 of 6 Posts