DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about changing the water pump and timing belt in my 300m this spring. I think it's way overdue although I don't know what the previous owners have done to it. I am looking to do this on the cheap. Advance Auto Parts is still taking the online coupons (~40% off!) If I do this I can get a NEW water pump, timing belt and idler pulley for about $110 after the coupon. The actuator is $110.00 and I cannot justify spending that kind of money on a part that I don't think needs to be replaced. This car is my daily driver but I dont plan on keeping it forever. Will I be alright to just change the belt and water pump or am I crazy for going that far into the engine without replacing actuator? The last time I replaced one was on my previous 97 I sold a couple years ago. I dont recall replacing actuator.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,009 Posts
The mechanic that did my Special said he's never had to replace the tensioner on any of the LH cars he's done. He only used the new pulley that came in the timing belt kit.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I think I'm gonna skip it. I did go ahead and get the belt and water pump from Advanced Auto Parts. Saved $70 with the codes I learned about from another member.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those arent the same parts i seen on advance. bit, no its still not worth it to me. This is just a beater, a nice one but i got 3 aging lh cars that all need things and a shoe-string budget to keep them running.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts