DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I'd say Rear wheel drive with the option for AWD in a crossover type vehicle. (A la Audi Allroad) We could use a wagon type LX, right? I'd buy one.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
There really is nothng wrong with front wheel drive. They would not put it in cars if it was no good. Better control(understeer) more traction, less loss of power. But in my opinion I would love to have it real wheel drive, just cause it kicks way more ass!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Per my local dealer,

2004 is the redesign year. Intrepid gets some major changes to it's engine & transmition. Look for merging of Dodge/Chrysler and Mercedes lines. They also heard rumor that these newer version intrepids will be rear wheel drive.

I like your idea about AWD though, us Northern climate guys need something that gets around in snow. Lets just hope they have the sense to offer some others options.
One month in Detroit, during a snow season with a vehicle with rear wheel drive should knock some sense into them.

sURFN

·
980 Posts
Should be rear drive the main reason most the manufacturers went to front drive is because it is cheaper and easier to build, as far as handeling it can not compare to rear drive seen many front wheel drive real race cars?Thats why most police still buy ford crown victorias rear drive.nothing beats hanging the tail out and having enough muscle to bring it back in.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well dodgeguy,

It is obvious by your pic of your car with the background and your response, (nice pic btw :D) you have never had a 250hp+ car in a common 2+ inch snow storm having to drive in traffic. Handling a rear wheel drive vehicle in this condition is all but hopeless. Might as well get out racing slicks -the ones without any tread- and try driving down the interstate at 75 in a rain storm. You will get about the same handling then if you live through the experience.
Granted, you are correct in that there is currently no race made with a front wheel drive car and it sounds like Merc's new PVO unit has some great plans to get some more muscle into all the lines of DCX. I did find a link here http://www.allpar.com/model/upcoming.html under the LX series paragraph about the future of the Intrepid LH series. If they would make an all wheel version for us snow based states and a rear wheel drive for those of you who have got sick of this dam white stuff and gone south, it would be fine with me.

By the looks of the future plans for the LH series, it looks like all you need to do is to go test drive a Mercedes E class and get a hint of things to come.

BTW, other news out of Detroit today, was rumor of a news release on 1/9 about the union of the big three and government to produce fuel cell based cars to eliminate gas based cars. http://detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0201/08/a01-385245.htm If they would suceed at this, look for your gas baby to be taxed to the point you have to part ways or be Bill Gates to own it.

All this is too depressing, I am going to go drive my 98 Intrepid ES around the block before I can not do it without paying a tax.
sURFN

·
980 Posts
oh yeah I have driven 300+hp cars in the snow and they can be a handful unless you know how to drive them,and I remember seeing plenty of frontwheel drive cars stuck in the snow It all depends on the driver when in snow.I do agree an awd version would be a nice option to just rwd.

·
Registered
602 Posts
It aint too common but I actually like driving Front Wheel Drive even when hotroddin, usually handles really nice but will still burn em' up around turns. It's usually more precise w/greater control especially in wet or slippery conditions. It hugs turns really nice and usually makes tight turns really well.

Now.... I hate front wheel drive because of the Torque-Steer during hard accelleration especially if you have an Autostick or mods that give you a litle more power. Just today in my 2.7, I got on it hard and during an upshift the steering wheel jerked pretty hard. It's not as bad with my new 2.7 but was much worse with my 3.2L ES after a while. That freakin Tranny Bump is something else I hate with Front Wheel Drive. I don't known if others notice it but even my new Intrepid does it every once and a while.

I just can't image 300+HP with the current 42LE Ultradrive Front Wheel Drive System configuration. I think that Chrysler played this system out so they wouldn't have to pay to have a new system designed.

I'm not sure if it's Chrysler's design or FWD alltogether. Perhaps a little of both. I know that the Ultradrive system has had many problems since it's introduction in the 80's. I thought Acura had like 260+HP V6's with FWD and I haven't heard of any complaints ever about this. Perhaps it's just Chrysler's current design. I think part of the problem is also the power and the size and weight of these vehicles as to my personal opinion.

Although I'd hate to loose the FWD system I am so used to but if there's going to be to make it work as it should or go to a rear wheel drive setup, yeah.... AWD would be nice but I wonder how well that would work out?

Torque-Steer, FWD System Sensitivity, Tranny Bump, Maintenence requirements make me not like it but otherwise I'd prefer it....

If I want a tire blazing hot-rod I'll get a classic RWD Hotrod for that otherwise it's FWD for me with the Intrepid.

Later guys,
MoparPerformance :cool:

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: MoparPerformance ]

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Great comments guys!! The next gen of LH cars ,code named LX will be RWD. There will also be a ALLSPORT version( we dont say station wagon) that is AWD.Not sure if the Intrepid name will be used, all we have heard is 300N ,LXI and LX . Nothing about the Dodge?

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
As much as i'd hate to say it.... I really do see DC eliminating a good part of the Dodge line. We already saw the LHS removed. I wouldnt be surprised to see others go.

There is no word about the future Intrepids... so I could easily see that gone. The Stratus... well maybe. They will probably keep the Neon and the Ram.

I bet if anything.. they will merge Dodge and Chrysler.. and just keep the Chrysler name.

The new Chrysler line will probably consist of the following....
Neon
Stratus
Sebring (convertible)
300N
Concorde
Ram
TC
Caravan

Everything will be called Chrysler... Chrysler Neon *blah*, Chrysler Ram *blah blah*, etc etc.

I dunno just my dumb opinion. Maybe they won't kill the Dodge name... but they will definitely kill some of the cars, especially since they already started with Chrysler.

·
Registered
562 Posts
chrysler ram doesn't sound good :p

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Originally posted by DjPiLL:
The new Chrysler line will probably consist of the following....
Neon
Stratus
Sebring (convertible)
300N
Concorde
Ram
TC
Caravan

Everything will be called Chrysler... Chrysler Neon *blah*, Chrysler Ram *blah blah*, etc etc.

I dunno just my dumb opinion. Maybe they won't kill the Dodge name... but they will definitely kill some of the cars, especially since they already started with Chrysler.
Can't forget to add Crossfire! :D

And Pacifica????

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
The only thing I could ever see happening is Dodge being just a "truck" line with Chrysler taking over the cars.

Chrysler just doesn't have a truck heritage nor would anyone take it seriously I think.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Chrysler in Nascar, that'd be funny! That's kind of like putting Cadillac or Lincoln is Nascar. Hell naaw! I just can't picture that.

Well Chrysler, dropped Plymouth, I always thought the Plymouth name was kind of unnecessary though. Plymouth was always kind of like the "ghetto" line, except for classics like the Road Runner.

Now the Neon is Chrysler but it's just kind of called "Neon" not really Chrysler Neon. They may do the same thing with the Dodge Intrepid, just "Intrepid", hella naaww! They'll probably just call the Dodge Ram "Ram", but that would be funny "Chrysler Ram", I could picture the Chrysler wings emblem on the front of one right now, pretty funny!

Later guys,
MoparPerformance :cool:

·
Registered
187 Posts
By the looks of Cadilac's entry called Cein at the Detroit auto show, it looks like Cadilac is looking at the high speed market soon.

sURFN

·
Registered
560 Posts
about chrysler in nascar...back in the day, hell yeah, but now? i dont see the point, since the Intrepid is an LH design, so chrysler would basically be running the intrepid (gray instead of red)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts