DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From my 1996 Intrepid parts car, I got the side skirts and front foglight bumper. They've been sitting in my shop for a long while. Today, I wet sanded them, primed them, sanded them again. Next, I sprayed some Plastic adheason promoter on the peices, primed them in grey. I decided to paint them in a light neutral grey. I didn't want them to contrast as much as if they were a darker color. They actually match the current paint fairly well. The front bumper will be like an ES, bottom half will be in the neutral grey, while the top will be in the light driftwood silver color. Yes, I am rattlecanning this, and as much as I hate it, so far it's turned out okay. I've done the side skirts and they came out pretty nice! The grey looks good, and I sprayed some clearcoat on them. Here is what they look like:

I still have to do more work on the front bumper:

I'll have to order the paint from the dealership. Its like 8 bucks for a small can. I'll get two. The bottom, which is normally dark grey on the ES's will be the same grey as the side skirts. I'll give it a nice coat of clear coat.

This isn't going to last the lifetime of the car, thats a fact. But it's temporary until I can get the car fully repainted in emerald green, when the time comes.

This has given me an idea of what my car is going to be. It's a mix between sport, base, ES and a few things between. The Intrepids were never branded with an LE badge, as many other mopars of that vintage were (Caravan, Acclaim, Dynasty...just to name a few). LE stood for Limited Edition, or Luxury Edition, depending on which car it was on. So I bring you the one and only Dodge Intrepid LE. Features two tone body side skirts, fog lights, OTIS, Keyless, leather (coming soon!), and a few other things that separate it from the others.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
still autostickless, and I should do something about the wheels. Maybe some Eagle Vision TSI rims?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I'll take the stock hubcaps if you do that^

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bottom half of the bumper has been painted:

It has a nice semi glossy shine, which was what I'm looking for. I still have to paint the top half and spray it all with clear coat.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Top half painted:

Now, I'll just let it dry overnight and give it a clear coat tomorow.

·
Dain bramaged
7,212 Posts
I just noticed your side skirts are different.. the ES i got my trim off of wrapped up the back wheel well too.. do you have the door peices?

maybe thats the difference in the ES trim and a car with a foglight bumper but not es..

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Mine are exactly like the ones Matt86 has, Foglights non-ES. I dont ever recall seeing one that goes up the rear quarter but I never really looked at it so I dont doubt it.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The ones I have were standard on all 1996-1997 Intrepids and Sports. Not ES's. Mine dosn't have the door cladding.

·
Dain bramaged
7,212 Posts
yeah.. the ES trim has the door cladding is has the part that runs up into the rear area too.. thats just the cladding to make the fog light bumper on a base car look better..

I'm going with the full es cladding myself..

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
How much did the paint cost you? I might want to get some paint. hmmmm

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Got em' on:

The fog lights are just for decoration now, I haven't hooked them up.

The Mopar paint was damn expensive! 8 bucks a can, small cans too!

·
Dain bramaged
7,212 Posts
looks good man..

if memory serves.. when meangreen did the foglight bumper swap, she found out that the wires for the factory fog lights are just tucked away in there somewhere.. i believe she found hers wrapped around the headlight wires..

just fyi..

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had actually ran an extra heavy guage wire down to the front bumper when I installed my OTIS temp sensor, for when I was to install the fog lights. I want to wire them up separatley, but still use the dash swtich. I just don't want that stupid relay and melting multifunction switches.

·
Dain bramaged
7,212 Posts
Matt86 said:
I had actually ran an extra heavy guage wire down to the front bumper when I installed my OTIS temp sensor, for when I was to install the fog lights. I want to wire them up separatley, but still use the dash swtich. I just don't want that stupid relay and melting multifunction switches.
then do what i'mma gonna do.. I'm going to use the factory foglight wire to trigger a seperate relay that will power the fog lights directly off the battery.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I never saw a light car with grey skirts until I saw yours, now they are everywhere!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts