DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My signals in the Intrepid have not canceled for...well, ever. I was wondering if it would be a big job to haul that whole assembly out of the LHS and put it in the Intrepid? I'm assuming it would be exactly the same, it's just that I was worried it was hard because when brought it up when the shop was fixing my starter, they said probably $300 bucks to fix it...that sounds like it must be a lot of labor time. Anyone done this before?

·
Registered
253 Posts
If the problem is a defective turn signal switch, it's an easy fix:

Combination Switch

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

These vehicles use a multi-function switch (also called a combination switch) to control a variety of tasks. This switch contains the electrical circuitry for the turn signals, the hazard warning switch, headlamp beam select switch, headlamp optical horn, windshield wiper switch, pulse wipe and windshield washer switching.

This integrated switch assembly is mounted to the left side of the steering column. Should any function of the switch fail, the entire switch assembly must be replaced.

Disconnect negative battery cable.

Tilt the steering column up and remove six screws holding the lower column shroud.

Tilt the steering column down and remove the upper column shroud.

Tilt the column up and remove the tilt lever.

Using a flat bladed tool in place of the lever, tilt the column down.

Remove the two mounting screws on the switch, then remove the switch from the column, disconnecting the two electrical wiring harness.

To install:

Install the switch to the column and secure using the mounting screws. Tighten the combination switch-to-column mounting screws to 17 inch lbs. (2 Nm).

Install the upper and the lower steering column shrouds tightening the retainers to 17 inch lbs. (2 Nm).

Install the tilt lever.

Connect the negative battery cable. Check all functions of the combination switch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Note that you may need reverse torx sockets to get the switch off. They can be VERY difficult to find. I finally located a set at Harbor Freight of all places. The usual tool supplies mostly gave deer-in-the-headlights looks.

Also make sure that the cover screws are completely removed. A couple of them have almost the entire thread engaged and seems to take forever to remove. The covers should come apart very easily. If it appears that something is hanging there is still a screw engaged.

While you have it apart you might consider replacing the ignition switch at the same time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.