DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have an '02 police trep that is badASS, save the stereo. I'm convinced they put in .50c speakers lol. I have the head unit that has a tape deck and CD changer controls. Do I need to upgrade the HU or the speakers to get decent sound? Or both (dont say both LOL). All I want is something equal to a "good" factory car stereo...I'm by no means an audiophile...lets face it..country music and alternative rock doesnt really require the thump that rap does.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Both....lol.

But no seriously...both.

A stock stereo blows for driving aftermarket speakers in most cases... just not enough power to make it worth it.
Any after market headunit of even just decent quality (100-150 dollar range if ur on a budget) will blow a stock radio out of the water in terms of quality and features. If u update the head tho, most likely u will blow stock speakers, maybe not right away, but it will happen.

So in conclusion..... both.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,840 Posts
I'm agreeing with Azril. The Base system you have in the Police version is the bottom of the line up for speakers. You're probably right that they cost 50 cents each for D/C. There's no amplifier in it like the Midline or Premium sound systems and the speakers are being run off the headunit alone. Best bet is a decent aftermarket head unit and a set of decent speakers all the way around. Your alternative is to keep the stock headunit and install a four channel amp and replacement speakers. Probably the about the same price either way depending on your choice of components. Or you can do things in two steps. Either install new speakers first and then an aftermarket HU later or vice versa. All depends on your budget.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You know, if you're interested, I should still have my stock LHS head unit (Infinity) and my stock 6x9s floating around somewhere. I can't think of any simpler of an upgrade than that... Heh. Only thing is that the HU probably needs a good cleaning -- I remember having problems getting it to give up CDs when I hit the eject button. Nothing a Q-tip and some alcohol over the rubber rollers probably won't fix, IMO. PM me if you want them -- they've just been sitting in storage for three years.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
well, my recomendation is just upgrade to the stock CD deck and the Chrysler Infinity speakers and 240W amp
it is currently the setup I have, save the stock deck, I have an Alpine Headunit and no passenger side door speaker but i am very happy with the sound, has very good bass and sounds very nice

in all it might run you a total of AT MOST $100 for the speakers, mine were way cheaper than that, $50 for the amp and maybe $100 for the headunit, and you only need the headunit if you want to play CDs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.