DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finding several 4 channel amps that are rated both at 4 ohms and 2 ohms per channel. Are there any midrange speakers, the 6.5's and 6x9's that'll run at 2 ohms? The amp I have in mind is the KX350.4, it'll run 60x4 RMS @ 4 ohms per channel, or you can go 90x4 RMS @ 2 ohms per channel.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
i think you need to wire the speakers in a different way, but then you will loose the fade and balance features...not shure tho.

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
I've seen 2ohm speakers before but cannot think of which ones offhand... I just remember seeing them and being interested because i've never seen 2 ohm speakers before.

·
Registered
655 Posts
LOUD98ES said:
I'm finding several 4 channel amps that are rated both at 4 ohms and 2 ohms per channel. Are there any midrange speakers, the 6.5's and 6x9's that'll run at 2 ohms? The amp I have in mind is the KX350.4, it'll run 60x4 RMS @ 4 ohms per channel, or you can go 90x4 RMS @ 2 ohms per channel.
hmmm the only crazy ohm speakers i've seen came in the bose or mansoon packages...what a pain in the ass. and i havent seen anyone selling those since most manufacturers are going with regular impendance of decks.

by the way, you can run a 4 ohm speaker off of a 2 ohm channel with no problems, but as it says, you will drop the power, otherways if you want to run speakers at 2 ohms, here is a diagram, but you will lose balance because you run only one front and one rear channel (unless you want to add another 4 speakers in your car and hook em up the same way :))

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It won't run 2 ohms per channel in bridged mode, only in 4 channel mode. So I would actually drop the power output down to 45 RMS per speaker.

·
Registered
655 Posts
nobody's bridging it ;) instead of using all 4 channels he can use 2, parallel wiring two speakers together will lead the amp to see a 2 ohm load on the channel.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
russ1anstud said:
nobody's bridging it ;) instead of using all 4 channels he can use 2, parallel wiring two speakers together will lead the amp to see a 2 ohm load on the channel.
Nowhere in the manual does it specify power ratings for bridging it to two channels @ 2 ohms. It'll only bridge @ 4 ohms. So parallel wiring the speakers will only get me the same rating as running it 4 channels at 4 ohms, not only that but it'll probably **** up the amp since it's not rated for 2 ohms stable for 2 channel use.

·
Registered
655 Posts
LOUD98ES said:
not only that but it'll probably **** up the amp since it's not rated for 2 ohms stable for 2 channel use.
effin a dude lol im not talking about bridging it...i went off of your own info

LOUD98ES said:
or you can go 90x4 RMS @ 2 ohms per channel.
call me an asshole, but did u not say that the amp handles 4 channels of 2 ohm stable per channel?

anyhow, do it urself. im done helping here.

·
Registered
105 Posts
LOUD98ES said:

Heres the skinny on this......

Chances are that you will not find any 2 ohm speakers for your system. Thats OK. even though the amp puts out more power at 2 ohms than 4 ohms, its no big deal really. The difference between 60 watts and 90 watts as you stated translates into a mere 2 or 3 Db increase in output from your system, that means in that its not that big of a difference,.........(unless its an SPL system!)

If you really want to run the amp at 2 ohms per channel, the only way to do it is to run 2 sets of speakers per channel, not very realistic....

Now, if you bridge the 4 channels and make it a 2 channel amp, and run a pair of 4 ohm speakers, the amp will see a 2 ohm load per channel. that is pretty much how it works on any amp. You run it in "MONO" and each channel see's half the impedance of the load....

Just run it at 4 channels ,,,,,one per each corner of the car, you will be OK and like it! (if anyone tells you too put a 4 ohm resistor in parrellel with the speakers to drop the impedance and get more power, PUNCH THEM IN THE HEAD!!!!!!!)

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
russ1anstud said:
effin a dude lol im not talking about bridging it...i went off of your own info

call me an asshole, but did u not say that the amp handles 4 channels of 2 ohm stable per channel?

anyhow, do it urself. im done helping here.
I'm not seeing how you really helped at all. Here's the short n skinny on the amp.

• 60 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (90 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)
• 175 watts RMS x 2 in bridged mode (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
• Variable high-pass/low-pass filters (50-200 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
• Variable bass boost (0-18 dB at 40 Hz)
• Speaker- and preamp-level inputs
• CEA-2006 compliant
• Tri-way capable (Tri-Way Crossover required)
• Preamp outputs
• Fuse rating: 20A x 2
• Requires 8-gauge power and ground leads — wiring and hardware not included with amplifier

·
Registered
655 Posts
i'd explain it a lil more, but u juss dont get that im not bridgin the amp to 2 ohms...so forget about it

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Infinity makes 2 ohm components
Orion makes 3 ohm components

I'm sure there's more, I'll keep an eye out for ya

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Here's 2 more:

Image Dynamics = 2ohm
Soundtream = 3 ohm

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
The Viking said:
Soundstream is still around!?!?!?!?!?!?!

hell ya! I love thier spekaers!
not only are they still around, within the last year they have exploded!! They make some rediculous huge amps and their top of the line subs are pretty scary.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts