DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I had my windows tinted, I used to have a Mobil CarPass in the rar window of my car.

I was always afraid to put it back up, because i was worried it could ruin the tint.

Lately, I've really thought about putting it back up because I'm too damn lazy to pull out my wallet and insert a credit card in the pump (Yes, I am that lazy).

Anyways, my lazieness aside, if I did put it back up, would I encounter any problems with the tint? It uses that plastic velcro stuff, and sticks to the window with some sort of 3m tape.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
I dunno... i wouldn't attach anything to my tints..but thats just me. In fact i didnt even put my parking sticker on the back window thats tinted.... stuck it on the lower part of the windshield.

·
Registered
187 Posts
How about just using the velcro to fasten it to the rear deck near the window? Sure you can get it right next to the edge of the window.

sURFN

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm assuming that metal interferes with the signal. If not, why not mount it in the trunk right beside the filler spout?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Since we ar eon the topic of tints, and I know nothing about tints I was hoping i could get some questions answered. First off how much does tinting usually run? And what kind of tinting would I be looking for if I didn't want to go too dark (still need to be in state legal limit for Iowa) but have some kind of tint on all the windows? I don't want to have to face Iowa State patrol-persons or any night driving issues, but I think tints would defintely look cool. Suggestions?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Well theres diffrent prices and at diffrent places, also the way the quality and warranty of it is.

Make sure when they do youre tint they do it all the way up to the edge of the window some people actually have a little gap and it looks ugly.

I got limo tint which is 4% here. And which is 5 windows cost $139.00 5 year warranty for limo tint and anything above limo tint was lifetime so look around first before you decide. i actually had to look at 5 place before i found the best :D :D :D

Heres a Helpfull link http://yp.yahoo.com/py/yploc.py?clr=ypBrowse&ycat=7737166&desc=&tab=B2C&country_in=

When you go to this enter you zip and then its like a yellow pages go to automitive and you should find tint somewhere in there.

Then start calling and youll find good prices :D :D

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I don't know what to tell you. If you are too lazy to put your hand in your pocket, pull out your wallet, take the card out swipe and redo in the reverse order, then I hope you never have to buy anything ever again.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Iowa law states any aftermarket tint is illegal. You usually won't get pulled over for it however if you get it around 40% or lighter. The ocasional state dick in a bad mood might still pull you over.

·
Registered
263 Posts
does anyone know a link for legal limits in all states? all i know is that in MA the limit is 35% all windows--this would make a great poll,Randy, if there isn't such a site that has all of the states, each person can find out from their state and post it-wouldn't that help?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hmmm, paid $170 for my tints and have a lifetime guarantee.. As far as sticking something to my tint, I would never do it.. Because if you mess up the tint and have a guarantee on them, I am pretty sure they wont honor it if you go back to them bcause of personal neglacents.. (spelled wrong)

Richie

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
I paid $175 with lifetime warranty. Got 15% all around. Not for nothing... and not to knock the guys here that have light tints... but to me it just isnt worth it to get tints if you are going to get anything higher than 35%. Even 35% is a little on the light side. I know my tints are illegal... but screw that... ill deal with that if I get pulled over.

I think 15% is the best shade to get (assuming you have the guts to do it). Limo tint is just too dark, and anything higher than 15% makes you wonder if it was worth getting the tints done in the first place. If you are still unsure, do what Intrepidatious did and get 15% for your rear three windows, and 35% for your front two. At night, it will be difficult to tell that the front two are a lighter shade, but at least they may be legal at 35%.

[ January 26, 2002: Message edited by: DjPiLL ]

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by DjPiLL:
.....but to me it just isnt worth it to get tints if you are going to get anything higher than 35%. Even 35% is a little on the light side. I know my tints are illegal... but screw that... ill deal with that if I get pulled over.
On my 98 I had limo on the back 3 and only 51% on the front 2 windows. Guess what. I got tickets for that!!!! You could hardly even tell they were done. That's why i decided not to touch those this time.

If I could, I would get limo all around. But I can't :(

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Hehehehe... exactly my point. I can understand you not wanting to tint your fronts at all. But if you are going to... might as well make them look good. Like you said, you got a ticket for 51%. The ticket would have cost the same if you had 15% and it would have looked a hell of a lot better. ;)

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
DEEPRED, I'm not sure where exactly you live in Iowa, but I had my windows done @ Timm's Tint in Mason City. $125 for all 5 windows (35% back 45% front) $95 for back 3 windows - Lifetime warranty. As for the state dicks, yes, some will pull you over
:mad: but hey, I've had them tinted for well over 6 months and have only gotten one ticket for it, and it was only $35.50

As for attaching my neons to my back window - yes, i did use double sided tape, but it is on the black part at the top of the window; not attached to any tint

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks all for your advice, I may look into that. And Viperman, if you were talking about me too lazy to pay someone to do the work. Well that's simply not the case. My inquiry was only becuase I was clueless about tinting. Before the intrepid I hadn't had a car worth tinting before. Doesn;t sound like it's all that expensive, unless the local government enforcers get pissy about it. JGarrett, well I live in Cedar Rapids and make frequent trips to Iowa City, so the troopers could be a decent factor in my decision. But again thanks all for the info... maybe something to get done this summer if I'm bored. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts