DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing a leaky water pump, have got everything taken apart, and the sludge isn't too bad -- mostly stuck to the inside valve covers and a little bit that's drained to the lower edges of the heads. My question: Should I do anything special to clean up the valve train (blast w/ carb cleaner or brake cleaner, etc.), or just mop up the best I can, then change oil and install new filter?

Also, when removing the chain tensioner from the block, I discovered what looks to be the remnant of a thin metal ring that came out with it. Should there be an O-ring (metal or plastic) on the tensioner body? I see a groove that looks like it could be for one, and currently has nothing in it.

All help appreciated.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody out there? Too busy watching football?
Anyway, have discovered there is supposed to be an O-ring on the tensioner. Also a reference to a second O-ring under the cover, but not sure what that's about.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
New forum software may not show your post quite like the old one did. As for the cleaning, I don't think carb cleaner would do any real damage to it, so I would say go for that.

I'm not really familiar with the 2.7L at all, but i can page dr. @Daytrepper( sorry for the tag dan, lol). and perhaps he might be able to assist you a little more regarding the o-ring.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Saw a pic somewhere with a rubber O-ring on the tensioner, so installed one. Probably not essential since there's also an O-ring between the cover and the engine block. Re sludge, I'll probably just clean up the worst of it w/ rags and paper towels, then change oil/filter and call it a day. Have to remember to clean out all air hoses leading to/from the engine, as well as the intake ducting -- lots of goo in them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts