DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2.7 lit. 98 Trep. drives very well and have not had any problems. It drives live an aeroplane on the highway, but on the very little street driving that I do on this car, the acceleration (on stop and go) is sluggish. What could be the reason??

Have not had a TBS (Throttle Body Service) done on it since I bought in year 2000 - Would getting this service done help???

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
How many miles? How's the fuel economy? Could be a lot of things...plugs, O2 sensors, throttle-body needs cleaned...Start with the simple things first!

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
In2Deep said:
How many miles? How's the fuel economy? Could be a lot of things...plugs, O2 sensors, throttle-body needs cleaned...Start with the simple things first!
Bad gasoline, clogged/dirty air filter.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
140,000 kms. Good fuel economy (nothing abnormal). Regularly do the ETEST in Canada (once every 2 years) and it was fine. Plugs, not sure, but no start issues. Air filter is clean.

·
Registered
148 Posts
A couple of things will improve the perfomance a lot.

new plugs, plat champions are fine. Others a waste of money
New air filter
clean throttle body out at the fire wall of engine compartment.
Get new pcv valve
and get a bottle of sea foam or chemtool B-12, and get it into the vacuum hose off the plenum. Use half that way and the other half bottle in the gas tank.
You will get a thick cloud of carbon and it will run much much better.

The above will cost less than $40 for the entire tune up.

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
I did it, I did it

Thanks for the advice Fred0803. I went by Autozone after work and got some new plugs, pcv valve and a bottle of Chemtool B-12 (out of SeaFoam). Came home and to my suprise changing the PCV Valve and spark plugs was very easy. Did not want to press my luck and venture to the throttle body area. You were even right about the price.

Have I mentioned lately that I love this site.

I know some of you will think that changing a PCV Valve and plugs is nothing big but for a guy like me that has never been comfortable messing around under the hood. It was a real confidence boost to be able to complete this without f*ing something up. Under there is not as scary as I thought.....LOL

·
Registered
73 Posts
marif said:
My 2.7 lit. 98 Trep. drives very well and have not had any problems. It drives live an aeroplane on the highway, but on the very little street driving that I do on this car, the acceleration (on stop and go) is sluggish. What could be the reason??

Have not had a TBS (Throttle Body Service) done on it since I bought in year 2000 - Would getting this service done help???
My Intrepid just went to the dealership for a similiar reason. At slow speeds the car seemed to be very sluggish. It turned out the O2 sensor was malfunctioning, my Intrepid is no longer sluggish at slower speeds.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Ok.. somewhere on here I read that you can get a bottle of carb cleaner and take off your air filter and turn your car on and spray it into the air intake (use the full bottle), and this will clean the throttle body, am i right?

What is this seafoam stuff, and what/where exactly is the "plenum" its right by the throttle body right? How often should the PCV Valve be changed? My car is at 58,000 miles and seems a little sluggish too, is it time?

-Brandon

PS Thanks for answering my many questions!

·
Registered
931 Posts
kcarlos2000 said:
I'm having a similiar problem. Replaced the Air filter already and currently running 89. How do I clean my throttle body? Plan on doing plugs this weekend.
I cleaned my throttle body about 2 weeks ago along with a complete fuel injection service and decarbonizing. I took the throttle body completely off the plenum and sprayed it down with carb cleaner which is the longer but better way to clean it. or you could just spray it while its on the car but you gotta be careful cuz that stuff can harm your IAC sensor. if you need help removing the TB let me know.

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
Very Easy

The PCV Valve change is tooooo easy. Well at least it was on my 2.7, just get a wrench screw off the current PCV Valve and then replace with the new one. If you do not know where the PCV Valve check your manual or if you do not have a manual let me know. I am at work right now if this picture does not help PM this afternoon and I will take a pic of my car for you.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the manual. When I go home this Aft., I will check it out, and let know.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Changing the PCV valve is easier then getting gas. Take boot off, unscrew valve, screw in new one, put boot on. My old PCV valve had dirt on it, so I'm glad I spent 2$ and got a new one...

-Brandon

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Astrogiblet
Sorry to ask this as I am very novice when it comes to the internals of a car - What is "boot" ? and where can I locate it in my 2.7 '98 Trep ?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
A 'boot' is a peice of hose that connects over the PCV valve. Its on the back of the plenum, you will feel it and a nut around the outside of the PCV valve. Go buy a haynes manual, theres a whole section on it.

-Brandon

1 - 18 of 18 Posts