DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 99 Intrepid 2.7L which has a small (few drops) anti-freeze leak at a fitting on top of the upper radiator hose. The fitting is similiar to a grease zerk. Does anyone know what this fitting is for and why the leak? If this is a regular zerk it should be a spring loaded ball and should seal. If it is a regular zerk it should be easy enough to replace. Thanks for any comments and suggestions. I am off to try to remove my battery - I enjoy a challenge.

·
Registered
187 Posts
On the 1st Gen, this fitting us used to bleed air from the cooling system when you do a flush/fill of the coolant. That housing also holds the thermostat.

Hope this helps...

Cheddar

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
with the car cool, try to put a wrench on it, and see if you can close it. you may have to open it and and close it again.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to everyone for your help and comments. Sometimes I get lost under the hood on a newer and considerably more expensive car than I have worked on in the past

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey, I found this on EBay if it keeps leaking: Plan B

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks - I tried loosening the fitting. No leaking immediately when running, then after sitting overnight leaked again. Is this fitting like a zerk and can be independently replaced?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'd take it right out and have a close look at the end. There may be a rough spot you can file for a better seal, or a bit of dirt in there.

·
Registered
429 Posts
nope. It usually leaks between the plastic and the metal ring, not at the threaded bleeder valve. Tighten a hose clamp around the black plastic ring on the top and that should fix it. Otherwise you have to replace the bleeder housing which is not that easy to do. Search the site for "bleeder housing" and you'll find plenty of posts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the information. This leak is at the top of the bleeder valve or at least it is the most visible leak coming out the top of the valve. I haven't found any other leaks furthur down

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did find a listing for the bleed valve in a parts book, so if the clamp doesn't work, I will pursue replacing the valve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts