DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Charger RT. It was sitting for awhile and when I went to started it there was not even a click. I suspected the battery and took it in to get it checked. They had trouble getting the battery tested but were willing to give me a replacement but didn't have the exact replacement. I paid the difference to upgrade from a STD battery to a AGM battery assuming that wouldn't be a problem. I was careful on the replacement to make sure the positive cable went on the positive post and negative on negative. After installing the negative post (battery in the trunk) I went to try to start the car and saw smoke bellowing out from under the dash even before I had a chance to put the key in the ignition. I immediately dashed to the trunk to remove the negative cable which did seem to stop whatever was going on.

Anyone every have this issue or have any ideas what could have gone wrong and how I should proceed to fix whatever the issue is?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm not familiar with the LX platform but I'm pretty sure you need to program the system to accommodate the AGM. I used to work as an auto tech at a local dealer and while I never did the reprograming, I do think that's what the problem is. Hopefully you didn't fry anything in the process.

·
Woober Goobers!
52,012 Posts
Agm shouldn't make a difference. Still the same voltage. What battery did you buy? Part# group size, etc

·
Woober Goobers!
52,012 Posts
Should be an H7 group size battery.

·
Woober Goobers!
52,012 Posts
You should also be on a different forum like LXForums. This forum deals with LH cars not LX cars like the Charger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts