DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a Dodge intrepid ES with the 3.2.
Recently changed the radiator and replaced the oil return line from the radiator, along with the power steering pressure hose. Everything works well. No engine lights, codes in the ECM. No smoke out of the tail pipe. But I noticed if I’m driving, I start smelling oil being burnt. There’s a little smoke every time I open the hood. It’s on both left and right side on the front of the engine. Smoke near the ac and smoke near the alternator. My take is maybe the valve cover gasket has a leak in it somewhere? I can’t for the life of me figure out where the oil is dripping from. But it’s hitting both cats at some point.

·
Premium Member
18,249 Posts
(1) Check for oil seeping from the round cover of the MTV valve. The cover is sealed by an o-ring which starts seeping as it ages. The oil drifts down the front of the engine and to both sides. Get a bag of 2 or 10 size no. 136 Viton o-rings off of ebay for $10 or less and replace the o-ring (you only need one). Wash off the front of the engine with high pressure and/or safe solvent after replacing the o-ring. (Protect alternator from water spray.)

(2) If you spill even a drop of oil when refilling or adding oil, it will find its way to the passenger-side exhaust manifold and will give off a burning oil smell. But this only affects the passenger side of the engine. Problem is more likely the MTV valve o-ring seeping.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn’t know that could even be the problem. I usually do all my own work, but this was screwing with my head lol. I’m hoping it’s more towards the MTV o ring. I’m guessing the MTV is at the top front of the engine? The black modual?

·
Premium Member
18,249 Posts
Also make sure your PCV valve is clean and working and PCV hoses are not clogged or split. A neglected PCV sytem can cause the crankcase to pressurize and blow oil out of strange places, like the dipstick tube.

Transmission cooler lines on the driver's side of the radiator and engine oil cooler lines on the passenger side of the radiator can leak with age. Sometimes the small hose clamps on the radiator port barb fittings just need tightening.

As you mentioned - possibly calve cover gaskets. Also low oil pressure switch can start leaking oil.

But once again, the way you described it, I keep coming back to the MTV valve o-ring.

BTW - the same o-rings for the MTV valve will fit the cam covers at the rear of the engine if they are seeping (which they sometimes do) - a bear to get to. Viton is the best o-ring material.

If oil is on the front of the engine, you maybe should replace your a.c. and alternator belts once you get the problem fixed.

·
Premium Member
18,249 Posts
Didn’t know that could even be the problem. I usually do all my own work, but this was screwing with my head lol. I’m hoping it’s more towards the MTV o ring. I’m guessing the MTV is at the top front of the engine? The black modual?
Yes - black round thing, about 2-1/2 or 3" in diameter. It's usually quite a revalation to people when they find out where the mystery oil is coming from on the front of the engine. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol I was losing my damn mind trying to figure out where it was coming from! I'll take a look tomorrow and see if that's the issue. I also replaced my v belt as the thing was twisted and all over the place. My pulleys are all aligned too. I bought the intrepid for 850 bucks at a used dealership. Had a bit done to it, but timing belt I don't think has been changed. At it has 140 thousand on the clock. So I want to get that changed ASAP. Although, its been working amazing, I just want it changed for a peace of mind! Along with the waterpump

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are a saint Peva! I don’t have smoke from the hood anymore! Until the part comes, I just took the MTV valve out, cleaned it(tons of built up crap). Used some gasket sealer on the rings and mating face. Also the valve wasn’t able to turn, took some air and held it upside down and more crap came out. Valve was able to turn now. Bolted everything up, cleaned the surface and all is good! I can’t thank you enough. Saved me a ton of money that I don’t have!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.