DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally I wouldn't come to the Intrepid forum and tell all how I smoked a fellow LH'er with my Thunderbird but this comes with an explanation.

I saw a dual exhausted M and his driving made it quite clear he was game to play. First light, we didn't launch due to train tracks right after the light but after we crossed them it was on. Slightly pulled motor to motor.
2nd light I took him on the launch and proceeded to put a slight pull on the M.

Next light the window comes down and the M goes on to tell me I have a V8 and he is only a 3.5L V6. I repond that I think something is wrong with his car because I feel it should be faster. He is still stuck in his V8 should kill a V6 and a 4.6L should kill a 3.5L.
I explain that my wife's 3.5L LHS is door to door with my Tbird and did not even mention that her's is only a 214hp. In fact I'd be pretty confident from what I saw tonight that her 214hp would take that particular M to school.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Nice, it’s always funny to run into people who don’t seem to know much about other cars. For some reason Ford could never get a decent amount of HP out of those aero-birds. The 4.6 only put out 205, so I’d say it should be pretty close with a 300m, since even though the M has more power, t-birds have less power lost in the tranny. My last car was a t-bird, and it took a lot of work under the hood to get an acceptable amount of hp out of it.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
lol kill them .... er wait..

hey hey hey just say my forde garbage beat your dodge... pisses off everytime

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Oh I believe you beat the 300M. We should race sometime, and after you can probably say that you beat an Intrepid R/T as well.

My sis' Grand Marquis with the big V8 is a snail......seriously, not impressive at all.

......sorta like how my Intrepid is a snail with 20's ;) I was driving beside it yesterday in my 4-cyl Laser, I could've kicked my own Intrepid's ass......but I never got the chance to as my friend and I couldn't get lined up at any sets of lights :(

·
Registered
891 Posts
I wouldn’t doubt a turbo Laser could beat an Intrepid R/T, after all the trep has 14.5 lbs per hp, and the Laser only has 13.8 lbs per hp. It’s hard to wrap your mind around the laser being faster then a nice trep, but it’s true. The t-bird on the other hand is just as heavy as the Intrepid/300M and has less hp out of it’s v8 then the M/trep has out of it’s V6, so I think if he know how to drive it, the M could have beaten the t-bird.

·
Registered
83 Posts
That guy gives us M'ers(even us younger ones) a bad rep. :twak: If you get beat, just give a thumbs up or something, don't start making excuses.

·
Registered
518 Posts
V8's do have something called torque...something our 3.2/3.5's are seriously missing...

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Avenger, I'm not giving you any odds in run between your R/T and my Tbird. The time in you sig in right on my best time. I ran a .50 before when I had smaller tires. Now I have the proper tires 205 vs 215's I've lost a bit of launch. I'm predicting a door to door run with you and me.

The trac control really depends on the car. As for the LHS, I've tried it at the track and my fastest times were with it off. Some cars which do not spin the front tires will make no difference, on or off.

Titleist is right about the torque and in this case true too. My bird can climb hills at 1000rpm in overdrive where the LHS digs down one or 2 gears. I also loaf along at 120km/hr at 2000rpm. So relative, yes it's torquey but not like my truck. The 5.9L Dodge would drag the 4.6L backwards.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have found the 300M Specials (with the dual exhaust) to be overweight dogs. A good running R/T will smoke them, and they drive better also. The 300M Specials have a crummy software (IMO) program for the automatic. It seems to drag, instead of shift. The weight of the extra plastic, exhaust, etc seems to more than offset the 5 hp and 3.89 gears.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
95Intrepisize said:
Because you lose horse power with it, or it doesnt help with traction when ur racing?
The T/C kicks in when the vehicle senses wheel spin. It stops the spinning wheel by applying the brake to that wheel - not good for racing.
SILVER BULLET said:
The 300M Specials have a crummy software (IMO) program for the automatic. It seems to drag, instead of shift.
My R/T is running as good or better on the Special software so it's something other than that - must be the extra weight ...

·
Registered
379 Posts
SILVER BULLET said:
I have found the 300M Specials (with the dual exhaust) to be overweight dogs. A good running R/T will smoke them, and they drive better also. The 300M Specials have a crummy software (IMO) program for the automatic. It seems to drag, instead of shift. The weight of the extra plastic, exhaust, etc seems to more than offset the 5 hp and 3.89 gears.

I remember a when Car and Driver tested the 300M SE; they found that they were slower than the 300M in both the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
The Rims on the special are considerably heavier then the stocks on the R/T and the Stock M. The 2 extra resonators dont help either, the plastic adds no more then 10lbs... Some Specials are slow others arent... Mine feels ALOT more peppy then other specials I have driven, for instance I test drove an 03 Special and I couldnt even get it to break the tires loose from a start but mine goes hog wild...

The only 3 things I hate about the Special is how long it hold second gear and early unnesscary downshifts, the way the PCM makes the tranny shift (more abrupt and not smooth) and the harsh ride (ok handling is improved so I really dont mind it)

So a special and an R/T depending on condition drivers etc, would be a very close race

Found these from Motor Trend:

2002 Chrysler 300M Special 7.4 15.6 (MT, Aug '02)
2000 Dodge Intrepid R/T 7.8 16.0 (C&D, Jun 00)

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
SilverSpecial said:
The only 3 things I hate about the Special is how long it hold second gear and early unnesscary downshifts, the way the PCM makes the tranny shift (more abrupt and not smooth) and the harsh ride (ok handling is improved so I really dont mind it)

So a special and an R/T depending on condition drivers etc, would be a very close race
I actually like the way it shifts but I have to agree with you about holding 2nd for so long - especially in the morning ...

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't think it was a special.
It had rims like a Concorde LXi and the dual exhaust tips were aftermarket.
4 tips that kick up. Popular with the imports.

I agree and remember reading Specials were a bit slower in the quarter but this particular M from the other night even seemed slower than that.
You would not typically seem a noticable difference on the street when you get 2 cars that are 2 or 3 tenths apart.

·
Registered
347 Posts
None of these cars can keep up with a 2.7! (well, hopefully it doesn't seize up before the race is over)

·
Registered
512 Posts
sorry this is kind of hijacking...but does anyone know how i can fix up the lag ive got during acceleration? im positive it isnt a tranny issue...when i floor it, it picks up later than any other car ive driven...ive got a 99 es.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts