DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 93 Intrepid from a guy I work with today for $300 bucks (could very well be the deal of my lifetime). It's not in too bad a shape with 90K miles, new brakes and fair bod. Problem is she smokes something fierce whenever you step on it. The smoke is black and smells like a rich fuel mixture (unlike the blue smoke that beltches from my wife's 92 Caravan with the 3.0). It's got a 3.3 and it idles really rough and you can actually smell gas when you open the hood. I'm ready to do some work on it and would appreciate any advice anyone can share to point me in the right direction. I'm really anxious to get this thing out on the road and enjoy a real car again instead of my Nissan pickup (yawn) and my wife's Caravan (double yawn).

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
alright... here goes:
  • Fuel Injectors: Yank them out, get them cleaned. Could be one stuck open/closed, causing the car to run bad.
  • Oxygen Sensors: If an oxygen sensor is bad, the computer might think the engine is running too lean, and flood the engine
  • MAP Sensor: (Manifold Absolute Pressure) This sensor detects how much air pressure there is in the intake manifold, which is the 'treps way of figuring out how much air is flowin into the cylenders. If this is bad, again, the computer might be flooding the cylenders.
There are many more it could be, those are the first ones I thought of.
Also, have you run a tank of gas through it? maybe He filled up with bad gas/wrong fuel (diesel) if he filled up part-way with diesel, the car might do what you are saying (don't ask how I know this :rolleyes: )
Good Luck, and Keep us informed!
Welcome to the 'trep family!

·
Registered
106 Posts
okay, just not too long ago, my trep all of a sudden started idling super rough and had very little power, like more than half the cylinders were dead... no smoke though, but there was a very obvious scent of unburned fuel, especially under the hood, and I also noticed that my gas dropped very rapidly. Anyhow I found out this was because it was misfiring. possiblity?

-Dan :p

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Crankshaft/camshaft positioning sensors.. good call

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
yes, I have. (but you were talking to the OTHER red intrepid guy)

·
Registered
990 Posts
Did it cost u anything to get the recall? I have a 96 Trep 3.5L just wondering as I have yet to have it done.. 93,000 here

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
nope. it's free.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Originally posted by Paul's 96 'Trep:
Did it cost u anything to get the recall? I have a 96 Trep 3.5L just wondering as I have yet to have it done.. 93,000 here
Call your dealer, do it soon, before you hit 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
432 Posts
ok you guys. I need some hepl trying to figure out something here. Can you guys look at one of the other topics that I posted a topic a couple of days ago( Gen Discussion )and it read "sad day in Intrepid, CA". By reading this, can any of you guys please help! I do have this stupid warranty that covers pretty much nothing. I did not get the car at a Dodge dealer, in case anybody was wondering. I got the car at a small dealership( sort of a mom & pop ). :confused: :confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts