DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the saga began Sunday, when my grandparents called saying that they had decided to purchase a brand new Toyota FJ Cruiser to replace my grandmother's totally mint, spotless 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT with only 55,000 miles on the odo. My dad and I had discussed buying the GT with my grandfather on Easter Sunday, but he had made it sound as though they would not be purchasing a new car for a very long time. One thing was for sure though, it was time to replace my mom's aging 2000 Ford Taurus SE, because though it ran fine, it had been beaten up and it was clearly showing the signs of it (my mom was in many accidents in it). Anyway, at about 10:00pm my mom and I made the hour drive to my grandparents house to see the car. She loved it, my grandparents had taken excellent care of it, as my grandfather has always been a car guy. We made arrangements to buy it and have them trade in the Taurus on their new FJ, and we took it home that night... and now, enough talking... heres the specs:

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
Fire Red Metallic
3.8L 3800 V6
has a lot of options, not loaded though
CD player
Sunroof
My grandparents bought it off the showroom floor of Pell Pontiac in Westboro, MA (i know, not a spec, but I thought that was cool :biggthump)

The color of this car totally kicks ass... but my Intrepid is still better

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves:

A couple with the Intrepid...

rest of the pics can be found here

I know its a Pontiac and this is a Mopar forum, but I had to show it off, its just so nice and the car it replaced I totally hated, whereas this one is very nice

Well, leave comments etc, i dont expect people to love it, but I like it a lot

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Me likey the Trep better, inside and out. Also, I've never been a fan of directional wheels. For a Grand Prix though, that's a nice, clean one.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the compliments guys... and thanks for the link keith, it was clubgp i was thinking of....
im thinking for a sn on there: Mom'sGT or sneke_eyez again

for now its 11:18pm and what am i doing?
going down to vaccum my ES.... :D

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Your ES is a nicer car inside and out. You just like the GP cuz it's new/fresh and you haven't gotten used to it yet. Once you do, you'll realize that your ES IS nicer all around.

You know the Pontiac 'Widetrack' ads? Your Intrepid is wider track than that Pontiac :p

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Me likey! Funny you mention that... a good lady friend of mine has the same exact car she bought new in 2000, only it's black on black with leather and the 5 spoke chrome wheels and has ~70k. I've been telling her, when she's ready to get a new one, do not trade this car in, call me first and I'll give her trade-in value + tax for it. I took it home and detailed it once, loved the car... still beautiful...

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
The in-laws used to have a GP like that, same year, same color. Someone stole it and beat the **** out of it and ****ed it all up. They replaced it with a Bonneville instead.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
I'm gonna guess that those pics were taken with a Concord Eye-Q 3340Z.
I'll do you one better. :p

From the second pic:

Make Concord Camera Corp.
Model Eye-Q 3340z
Orientation top, left side
X Resolution 1/300 inches
Y Resolution 1/300 inches
Resolution Unit Inches
Software 1.04
Date/Time 2003:01:20 03:57:40
YCbCr Positioning Center of pixel array
Copyright
Exposure Time 1/33 sec
F-Number F2.8
Exposure Program Program normal
ISO Speed Ratings 100
Exif Version 2.20
Date/Time Original 2003:01:20 03:57:40
Date/Time Digitized 2003:01:20 03:57:40
Components Configuration YCbCr
Compressed Bits Per Pixel 0.58 bits/pixel
Aperture Value F2.8
Exposure Bias Value 4.98
Max Aperture Value F2.8
Metering Mode Average
Light Source Unknown
Flash Unknown (24)
Focal Length 5.8 mm
FlashPix Version 1.00
Color Space sRGB
Exif Image Width 2048 pixels
Exif Image Height 1536 pixels
Sensing Method One-chip color area sensor
File Source Digital Still Camera (DSC)
Scene Type Directly photographed image
Compression JPEG compression
Thumbnail Offset 930 bytes
Thumbnail Length 11499 bytes
Thumbnail Data [11499 bytes of thumbnail data]

·
Registered
214 Posts
Those are sweet cars... The GTP's are even better.... My mom had a 98, and would still have it except some stupid twunt turned infront of her while she was doing 60......

You can fill in the blanks......

But I debated buying an 01 GT instead of the trep.

you see what won :)

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
95Intrepisize said:
Very nice, What type of camera do you use? I love the angles you use.
yeah, you guys are correct, its a Concord Eye-Q 3340Z
it isnt the biggest or the best camera of all time, its just a 3.1 megapixel, but it takes damn nice pictures when I do it right (it doesnt have great blur protection, so sometimes if I move slightly as I snap it the pic will come out a bit blurry)
and thanks for the compliment, if you check my photobucket gallery of my intrepid pics, i have a lot from cool angles in there too
i just got bored with normal, straight on pics, so i do a lot of different things with the camera now, for instance that top pic was taken with the camera set right on the ground, which always makes for a sweet pic

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
The prixs are nice. My uncle had almost the exact same car. Very close to my R/T in power but its amazing how much better they are off the line. My uncles would smoke the tires for 100 feet or so easily without having to hold the brakes or anything, man I was jealous!!!

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
sneke_eyez said:
it doesnt have great blur protection, so sometimes if I move slightly as I snap it the pic will come out a bit blurry
Matt just had to one up me, but really it made me notice something in conjunction with what you said here.

I don't know exactly all the options on your Eye-Q 3340Z, but if you can change the ISO speed, that can speed up the shutter speed. As in, it looks like your camera is forcing the shutter to stay open for a long time and decreasing that length of time will result in less blur. Your pics look like they were taken when there was still plenty of light, 1/33 of a second is an awful long time. Change your ISO speed to like 400 and your shutter speed *should* increase (or decrease depending on your definition).

Basically, the shutter won't stay open as long because you're using "film" that's more sensitive to light. The pictures will be somewhat grainier, but won't be noticeable when you size them down for the web.

I just tried changing the ISO speed on my Digital SLR and going from 100 speed to 400 speed, my shutter speed increased by about 300%. With a faster shutter speed, it'll be less prone to blur from movement.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
00r/t.mopar.muscle said:
The prixs are nice. My uncle had almost the exact same car. Very close to my R/T in power but its amazing how much better they are off the line. My uncles would smoke the tires for 100 feet or so easily without having to hold the brakes or anything, man I was jealous!!!
I test drove some GT's.......I couldn't even get the wheels to spin. I found the R/T had a ton more power?

......plus it was a ton cheaper on insurance ;)

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Hey, it's the arch rivals!

So, how do you like the 3800? It's probably one of the best V6 engines GM ever made. Smooth, reliable and plenty of torque. The tranny that goes with it is also rock solid.

Hey, just curious, how does it compare to the Intrepid? In particular, what's the handling like? I haven't driven the Grand Prix but I have driven a Regal, which rides on the same platform and needless to say I liked my Intrepid more. :D

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
The only thing I like better on the 3.8 vs the 3.2 that I had in my trep was the mpg. It did achieve on avg like 2-4 mpg better than my trep on my 1000 mile trips on the highway.

I don't agree that the 3.8 has a lot of torque. With the same tires Yokohama Avid Tourings 225/60/16 on both my Trep and Bonneville with the 3.8, my Trep could easily break them loose while the '03 Bonneville won't even chirp even brake torquing.

Also, like I've said many times before, the power output of the 3.8 couldn't match up to my 3.2 on the inclines. One the same exact hills, the 3.2 Trep would easily stay in overdrive and power up those inclines while the 3.8 would have to come out of overdrive in order to muster up the hills, sometimes even drop down to 3rd (all this in cruise control going the same speed of course).

The raw power of the 3.8 isn't as good as the 3.2 let alone the 3.5 (2nd gen). The shining point, the mpg.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts