DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
From a 4x4 website:
Tire siping is the process of cutting small slits, or grooves, into the tread blocks of tires in order to provide better traction in adverse weather conditions. The sipes allow the tread blocks to spread on contact with the ground, which helps expel water from the tread and provides better bite. Practically every all-season, mud+snow, and all terrain tire marketed today is siped in the factory mold, yet few mud terrain tires are siped. The traction benefits of siping, along with the purported increase in tire life due to improved heat dissipation from siped lugs, is something that can easily (and quickly) be done at home.

From cars101:
Siping is a diagonal slice across the tire that improves traction on wet or slippery roads. The slice 'opens' as it passes over the surface and helps grab the road as well as disperse water

Here is a good piece I found:
http://www.lesschwab.com/siping.asp
Another:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siping

It sounds like siping works if you have a hard surface for the tire to get to. If you are riding on snow pack it may not benefit you. An open lug M&S style tire may be the way to go.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
95Intrepisize said:
I know, sorry bus, I hate it too. I have some Goodyear GA's that are on my stock rims I will be using for winter. Rather than sell them cheaply, I thought about siping them and getting a winter out of them.
Or you could throw some new winter treads on for the snow and get another summer out of the GAs too right?

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
95Intrepisize said:
True, but when the summer hits, I like riding with my Chrome 17s and new tires.
True dat! Isn't the GA an all-season tire as it is, if I recall? Maybe not... I know the Michelin Energys I have on now wouldn't do jack **** in the snow last winter, had to swap them out real quick.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Man we both live in michigan, I wouldnt bother getting anything special in terms of tires except for good all season, or winter specific tires for the poopy rims. I use all season all the time and I dont usually have any issues. Well actually, you live up north of me on the lake... so get winter tires, and dont worry about it.

Oh and for the summer put some Eagle F1 tires on that bad boy for the summer! (F1's are what they put stock on new corvettes)

·
Registered
646 Posts
I wish I could afford rims in the first place, then I could dream about F1's :p. Oh well, I don't make enough at where I work, rims are an impossibility. Oh and you do put back on the stock wheels in the winter right? if not im gonna smack you, I've seen all sorts of rims that looked horrible from the salt on the chrome at work.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Japy has a point and I agree all seasons are good enough for these cars but if you have a dedicated set of rims for the winter you might as well go all the way and get winter tires.

I have Michelin Artic Alpins on my winter rims. The acceleration is only a side benefit of these tires in the snow. The cornering and stopping distance is amazing.

·
Premium Member
15,510 Posts
for storing tires ,, inflate to proper pressure,, put in a bag,, and store them laying on ther side or if there on rims hang them up

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
MikeW said:
http://sipers.com/sipers/index_large.asp

I think they are on crack if they believe that siping reduces heat.
Siping also reduces handling. If your tread blocks are cut, they are weaker and will fold over in an aggressive turn, heavy braking or acceleration.

Sipes are for winter and rain tires and I'll take them when the tire manufactures molds them. Not a chance I'll let some machine cut a regular tire.

In defense to sipes. My winter Michelin Alpins have sipes and they are incredible bad weather tires. There are so many sipes that on a smooth road it sounds like we are being followed by a jet.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I want to know how much, $5 a tire is okay, especially when I want to try something like running a tire REALLY bald.

Say the tires on a new civic have about 3.5mm of tread depth left @20K miles, will they sipe them past the wear bars? legality?
For only $20 bucks to feel safe trying to run the tires to 25,000 miles (Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02, complete lie they are 50,000 mile tires)

Will replace with new tires before first real snow hits, or 25K.

Okay, I called Discount tire and the guy says $10 is a standard charge, no pro rating based on number of cuts, depth, etc.

·
Registered
95 Posts
95Intrepisize said:
Looking at the
Bridgestone Blizzak REVO 1 versus Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2. Any preferences?
I can't compare them, but I can tell you that after I put a set of Blizzak REVO1 225.60.16 on my Impala last winter, it was like turning the lights on. Those suckers even stick to ice. And it felt like I turned the Chevy into a Cadillac, too, the ride improved incredibly from the BFG TA/H on there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.