DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lastnight we had a huge storm come through. Dallas crew will know what I'm talking about. Anyways my windshield leaks (dealer is fixin thrusday), so I put a tarp over it and closed the doors on the corners of the tarp to hold it down (bad mistake). Well this morning I go to leave for work and door panel and seat are soaked. Go on lunch break and notice rear floorboards are HOLDING water.

Wet Vac'ed and high pressure air sprayed the floor boards and their dry now. But my leather seats are still damp feeling. Anyone know ways to dry them out and maybe protect them from cracking?

·
Registered
663 Posts
I would get some leather protectant. Thats for sure. I would keep the windows cracked for a while. In good weather. It will take a while for the car to truely be dry. Thats about all you can do. Good thing you noticed the water in back tho.

Now, just some general info for you. If you have a 2000 or below. Then your seats are all leather except for the lower sides.

If you have any year after 2000 then you have less and less leather with each year. Ending in the fact that the square you put your ass on is the only piece of true leather in the leather seat. Sad to say.

So, bottom line is. Treat the leather and get the car dry and you'll do the best you can :turn:

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Roll down your windows and get some airflow going. If you let it go too long you could create a moldy situation, which is extremely bad for your health.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Take em out and let them sit in the sun for a day, flip them upside down and repeat.

You're going to want to hit them with a leather conditioner and maybe spray some Fbreeze underneath. Don't forget to dry the carpets completely, you may want to take the carpets up to make sure that no water is left in the floor pans.

And expect some electrical problems with the seats in 6-9 months.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay seats and carpet are completely dry now. Pour a box of Baking Soda in the floor boards and left it all day to soak up any odors that might be left.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
weather as usual in Texas!

Now that it is starting to get HOT and dry again, open all your windows and trunk and just let it sit in the hot Texas sun for a day, should take care of most of the problem.

Mold can be dealt with by removing the carpet, spraying it down with lysol , rinsing and air drying it in the sun. Surface mold on body panels can be dealt with by spraying lysol and srubbing off the mold residue.

Run the heater for 30 minutes to dry the duct work out!

as for the seats, condition the leather and let the sun do the rest. If that doesn't work, remove the seats and set them in the open air with the underside of the cushions facing the sun for a couple of hours. UV degrades foam, so this shouldn't be left in the sun for an extended period of time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts