DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well after mulling around what to work on I decided its time to start on the puttstick. Tonight I didn't touch the car but I spent time doing the prep work for it.

Here is all my crap on the table I'm setting up shop on. The boxes get unpacked a bit and moved to the ground to clear space to work, but I use my lap a lot too.

A self portrait of me in my full installer mode. I ended up taking off the respirator and goggles though after I decided I wouldn't be doing the soldering part at all tonight.

Here is my nice brand new long conical soldering tip for my iron.

Here is my ratcheting crimper that I'm using on everything.

A quick comparison shot of a pair of Bill's puttstick wires that come with to the ones I'm making up. I'll explain this more in a little bit.

Here is the whole shibang with all the prep work finished. Now all the install entails is soldering all my little connect wires into the car's harnesses, plugging everything in, and mounting it. There is actually a tiny bit more to it than that for a Puttstick install (need a multimeter and to adjust one thing inside the puttstick itself) but that is basically it. I was going to pull the dash and just do my soldering out of the car, but I think I'm just going to cramp up under the dash for the 5 wires I need to do in there. I've done it before.

I do need to go pick up a switch to use for my valet feature (disables any form of AS in the car) but that can just be left disconnected and it'll all work normally until I get around to that.

As far as why I'm redoing a lot of Bill's work, it has nothing to do with what he did being poor quality. I have slightly better tools for the job than he did (we have identical soldering equipment but I've got the ratcheting crimper) but that is a minor factor. Really it has to do with Bill designed the install to be simple enough for any car enthusiast to manage. Wiring is my profession, so I wanted to do things to a slightly higher standard. No T taps going anywhere in this install, its all soldered wires into the factory harnesses and then well crimped insulated terminals. I had to cut off all of Bill's terminals that he used because all the insulated ones I bought to try were slightly different shape, just enough they wouldn't attach to each other. I ordered 100 of each male and female for just a few bucks so that really wasn't a big deal. Now it all fits together perfectly and is ready to go. I also doubled the length for the valet switch wires, so I chopped off those connectors as well.

I also used 18 gauge hook up wire for all my stuff (the Puttstick wires are 22). 22 is adequate for all the wiring needed, but I went on the top end of what the insulated terminals of that size would hold and also wanted a little stronger wiring for durabilities sake, especially because my puttstick requires wiring into the engine bay where the others didn't. The stuff I have is rated to 176 degrees and in the engine bay its wrapped in electrical tape and will be in the same wire loom (smaller size) that I used for my power wiring project.

I'll get more pictures as I go, and I'll take a video of my custom built Puttstick in use. This is truly a one of a kind modification as I had Bill build it exactly to my specifications and nobody else was willing to spend the money to have it this way. The cost was way more than is really practical, but as an engineering challenge and the satisfaction of designing a system to perfectly satisfy my desires I took the plunge.

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
I will be watching this thread will great anticipation!!

BTW...

[Darth Vader]
Luke, I am your father...
[/Darth Vader]

·
The Womanizer!
2,964 Posts
I ended up taking off the respirator and goggles though after I decided I wouldn't be doing the soldering part at all tonight
You actually wear that crap when you are soldering? :therethere:

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You actually wear that crap when you are soldering? :therethere:
Not normally, but I felt like it last night. I may actually start wearing my respirator while soldering. When doing a thousand solder connections in a row at work the fumes may be a bad idea. When you get to the point where you like the smell of hot solder perhaps its time to back off.

·
Premium Member
18,382 Posts
The flux fumes really mess up my nose when soldering. I keep a little fan running and aimed at my head when soldering to deflect the smoke plume away. If I don't do that, I regret it. And yeah - it can't be good for you! :)

·
Registered
22,239 Posts
Not normally, but I felt like it last night. I may actually start wearing my respirator while soldering. When doing a thousand solder connections in a row at work the fumes may be a bad idea. When you get to the point where you like the smell of hot solder perhaps its time to back off.
Colophony is produced from the heating of a rosin based flux. Research has shown colophony to be not only a serious health hazard, but one of six most common causes of occupational asthma. Non-rosin fluxes such as synthetics and no-cleans have been found to be even more irritating than rosin fluxes. Colophony may contain many harmful constituents from acetone to carbon monoxide.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
38,495 Posts
well "in the state of California the solder may cause cancer"
I'll have to remember not to solder anything next time I am in California.

I dont use any respirators, just a simple "dont breathe the smoke".

·
Premium Member
18,382 Posts
Colophony is produced from the heating of a rosin based flux. Research has shown colophony to be not only a serious health hazard, but one of six most common causes of occupational asthma. Non-rosin fluxes such as synthetics and no-cleans have been found to be even more irritating than rosin fluxes. Colophony may contain many harmful constituents from acetone to carbon monoxide.
So - other than that, what's the big deal? :) I've been using this stuff for years, and it hasn't caused any problems. :eyecrazy:

·
yippee ki yay
5,811 Posts
A self portrait of me in my full installer mode. I ended up taking off the respirator and goggles though after I decided I wouldn't be doing the soldering part at all tonight.
I was driving through a bad part of town today......DAM I could of used something like that....scare the little gangsters back in there house.

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
I will be watching this thread will great anticipation!!

BTW...

[Darth Vader]
Luke, I am your father...
[/Darth Vader]

More like:

[Marty McFly]
Silence, Earthling! My name is Darth Vader. I am an extra-terrestrial from the planet Vulcan!
[/Marty McFly]

As for the OP, You say you ordered it to your exacting specifications and paid extra for it, but yet you are still having to tear into it and re-work it... or did I miss something?

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
More like:

[Marty McFly]
Silence, Earthling! My name is Darth Vader. I am an extra-terrestrial from the planet Vulcan!
[/Marty McFly]

As for the OP, You say you ordered it to your exacting specifications and paid extra for it, but yet you are still having to tear into it and re-work it... or did I miss something?
The functionality of this unit is different than that of the standard Puttstick. I described exactly how I wanted my unit to function and Bill built it to do that. For a bit others were considering going with the version I had Bill design for me, but nobody was willing to share the pricey version with me. My puttstick has a whole extra circuit board inside the enclosure that was hand built for my needs.

Basically Bill still produced a kit with a full walk through and hand holding so that it could have been sold to anyone, not just me. The designed specifically for me part was about the functionality. I don't mind redoing that stuff though because really its pretty easy stuff and I enjoy it.

Anyways I won't put up the next round of pictures until tomorrow when I get back to it, but the under hood portion is 100 percent finished. Now I have to solder in the standard puttstick wires in the cabin. Then I can plug everything up for the calibration and a test run, then its just final mounting. I'll give a good detailed account of all this tomorrow when I get up the pictures.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its a good thing DI has autoresize on pictures, because photobucket is being a miserable pain in my ass. It says the pictures are resized now on my photobucket but on the forums its showing them in full resolution. I really don't want to have to resize them on my computer and reupload them.

·
Premium Member
18,382 Posts
So screw the photos! :)

Anything to report on the install, Dan!

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So screw the photos! :)

Anything to report on the install, Dan!
I ended up working 13.5 hour days, so no more progress. Either later today or later Sunday I'll wire in the rest of the wires into the IP harness and do a test before mounting it and dressing the wires.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well after being out all friday night, saturday, and half of sunday I did get a couple of quality hours in on the car. The under dash wiring is totally finished now. I ran out of time but I just need to plug everything in, make the one adjustment in the puttstick, and test it out. After the test succeeds (I am quite confidant) then I just have to tidy things up and figure out my exact mounting. I'll run the wires for the valet switch into the center console too.

I work two 13.5 hour days in a row though, so no telling when I'll squeeze in time for that. I'm hoping to have a couple hours to wrap it up tomorrow right after work.

This project also went a bit slow today because I spent some time on a different project which will be revealed shortly. Its something that has been discussed before but nobody has done it to my knowledge.

Oh and I'm using way better goggles now. I picked up a set more suited for this type of use as opposed to chemistry goggles since I'll be using it at work a bunch now.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.